Valve won't seal after stem seal replacement.

X-xyk

• Member For: 3y 10m 12d

Hi all again, after looking around online for a couple of hours I'm stuck, Im in the process of replacing my valve stem seals, and after my first replacement seal I can't hold pressure in the cylinder as the valve is letting air through exhaust. Valve guides seem to have very minimal play so I'm not sure. Any ideas? Cheers

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 20d

When a valve is bypassing air between the valve and the seat, generally due to wear and carbon build up, it is referred to as "leaking down". There is a test you can do called a leak down test and it measures how much air is being lost from the cylinder through the valves and or rings.

Flat out is a fast as possible lol.

Leaking down flat out makes sense now :)

• Member For: 3y 10m 12d

Yep collets were in properly, but found I had the same problem on a few other valves. Rotating the valve when closed seemed to do the trick I guessing there was some carbon build up, I've got some headstuds to go in so I'll give her a clean underneath. Thanks for tips fellas

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 23d

put some string down the spark plug hole & turn the motor over by spanner not starter until it stops. the string push's the valve up which should close it. if it dont seal you got problems ! remove the string when your finished