Transmission fault code

josh883

• Member For: 5y 6m 24d
Ok so there is a VERY specific process to follow when filling the trans fluid to the correct level. Did you follow it? Or just bung it in without getting the temp exactly what it's supposed to be? I.e. Operating temp is too hot.
Trans fluid needs to be only at 35C!

• Member For: 10y 2m 18d
33 minutes ago, cat007 said:

Ok so there is a VERY specific process to follow when filling the trans fluid to the correct level. Did you follow it? Or just bung it in without getting the temp exactly what it's supposed to be? I.e. Operating temp is too hot.

Yes I'm aware of the process, and after I installed the trans cooler double checked the fluid level at said temperature, did this after the final flush. Car was level and fluid level was spot on. Went through the same process to refill. After the final fluid flush it has only made the car go into limp mode on the track twice, no street issues yet. Trans temperature has not been above 105c. This is why I think it may be fluid, filter or pressure related. 

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

^what he said - you need to be very particular about the car being level and the fluid being at the right temp.

Edit: sorry posted at the same time he did. But also when you refill, run the selector through all the positions a few times to make sure everything is well circulated so you get an accurate reading

• Member For: 10y 2m 18d

Any way I'm going to replace the filter and just change the oil in the sump as it's pretty fresh, I'll go through the process and make sure the fluid level is correct. Hopefully changing the filter will make a difference. 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d
7 hours ago, cat007 said:

Yeah nah that's too hot. Start the car from cold, put it in drive and fill the bastard asap.

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

That's the way I do it and it works.

Be safe about it though, make sure the car is supported with jack stands before you get under it. Don't rely on the handbrake to hold the car still on the ground.

• Member For: 6y 10m 28d

I do it in Park. The most important thing is that the fluid is cold, first start of the day. They fill them cold at the 'ZF factory' because they are sealed before it even gets near a car.  I'm trying to find an article I saw a few years back. Mine would play up until I filled it when cold after doing the service a day before.

Edited by adams355

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 25d

I'll be the devil on the other shoulder... The fluid level doesn't matter squat as long as it's over the correct level. I've done this and replied on this forum about it and I'm using Transmax Z plus a bottle or so of Lubegard. 3lt+ overfill and the only thing it did was make it doughy central...
I would think like most autos if it's underfilled it would jump into gear when a certain rpm is reached from a stop (my btr on the AU did this after Ford clowns didn't fill it properly).

Long story short is they aren't as temperamental as everyone is saying.