Transmission fault code

josh883

• Member For: 10y 2m 18d

Hi everyone, 

I'm having some trouble diagnosing some trouble codes which have been making the car go into limp mode. The car has been tuned and has about 310rwk. I believe the code that is making the car go into limp mode is the trans friction element code in the screenshot. I have recently done a trans fluid flush which has improved the situation but I'm using gw syn trans. 

Screenshot_20210421-175010_Torque.jpg

• Member For: 6y 10m 27d

Did it have a ZF tune as well? Check the fluid level when first started for the day, when its cold. Start and fill to it comes out (level ground or 2 jacks etc). Then go for a drive and manually go through all gears up and down changes and reverse. Otherwise back to the tuner.

Fluid level is fine, been to the tuner and apparently haven't seen this code before, sorry I should have explained this. The zf has been tuned as I have no torque tags and it shifts differently. Anybody have issues with gw fluid? 

Edited by josh883

• Member For: 6y 10m 27d

Its not the fluid a lot of us here use it with no problems. Was it definitely GW SYN-TS? Otherwise its the tuners issue if it has happened after a recentish tune. 

3 hours ago, cat007 said:

When does it occur? Only when giving it 'the beans'?

Or does just cruising around cause the error to pop up?

It occurs when I give it sum. I attended coffee laps at Queensland Raceway and when I first went out I opened her up on the straight, gearbox was around 70 degrees bang straight into limp mode (no boost but drives normal). Come off the track Cleared the error started up and got back on. It occurred one other time during the 90min session so I was happy but want to get this sorted. I'm running true track diff and 265 tyres, I have been disabling the traction control when giving it a bit. 

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y

If it never happened before the tune and now occurs after the tune, then logically it would be the tune causing this.

It could just be a complete coincidence but either way I'd go back to the shop that tuned it and who did the service on the trans.

To me the next logical step is to reset the tune on the trans (go back to factory settings) and see if the code reappears. This way you can see if it was the tune doing this or if its something else. 

How many k's are on the box? Have you ever had other issues with it?

• Like 1

No issues with the box before tuning and it has just kicked over 200 000kms, however after the tune I fitted an external pwr trans cooler behind the fog light and did a fluid flush with gulf and Western. I have not changed the filter for 60000kms but will do this weekend. I'm thinking it's more fluid or pressure related as I haven't noticed a difference in the transmissions performance. So other issues could be the pump or preasure leak possibly in the sleave.