400kw Ute Traction/Tyres

VDSY

• Member For: 3y 4m 30d

Hey lads, recently upgraded to 400kw, running kumho ectsas ps91/71s 

struggle for traction in 2nd and 3rd, really just after some perfomance tyres no slicks

theyre 18x9 rear and 18x 8.5 front. what cuold be best stretched tyre for max grip?

sorta looking at the michelin pilot sports 4 255/35/18?

just wondering if anything better out there? cheers 

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 20d

Just for my own clarification more than anything, are you wanting that "stretched" look with your tyres?

My understanding of a stretched tyre is putting on a tyre whose width is smaller than what is recommended for the rims width. 
Or are you on the opposite end and you're after putting a BIGGER width tyre than recommended for the rims width?

Also, because you have a ute you have more freedom to fit wider rims on your car. Maybe you should look at getting a wider rim for the back? Like a 9.5, 10, or even 10.5?

No, im after the correct maximum width without stretching mate

I could possibly toss up a new set of mags but might try correct width and top end tyres if that will help? im not really sure thanks mate!

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 8d

with 400+ and full throttle from a standstill, the only thing that'll hold grip will be semi-slicks and you don't want to be running those all of the time as they're dangerous in the wet.

ahhh yes thanks kieth but its more of a problem in 2nd and 3rd gear and reaching 4000rpm tends to power skid, 

wouldnt mind getting some traction, would a fresh set of top end tyres be a start? Cheers

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 8m 27d

I have tried lots, got good results with Toyo r888r on the rear (noisy as hell) and Pilot Cup 2s - almost as good.

Put pilot super sport or 4S on front for wet weather and braking and you are fine. The Goodyears F1 are great front tyres as well.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 8d

you can run some michelin or continental or nitto or toyo etc and have plenty of drive traction, but you're completely limited in that scenario as even fatter tyres etc of the same tyre compound start to struggle with grip on higher power like you've got... it's just a matter of which ones have high wear characteristics and they'll grip stronger but not last very long... and semi-slicks are on the high end of grip but of course don't last very long... if you're dailying it then you just have to be more liberal with your throttle, realistically.

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 20d
1 hour ago, VDSY said:

No, im after the correct maximum width without stretching mate

Had a feeling you meant this, but wasn't exactly sure 🤣

I've also heard of the r888r's being quite a good tyre. My mates 400kw+ f6e is on Pilot sport 4's. They're a brilliant tyre just expensive. Also, this f6 is on 10" or 10.5" rear rims, can't remember exactly which one.

I suspect on 9" rims you'll  struggle for traction even with ps4's. Might need to use the right foot method to control grip instead 😋 

Might be time for new mags then 😆

11 minutes ago, sixman said:

I have tried lots, got good results with Toyo r888r on the rear (noisy as hell) and Pilot Cup 2s - almost as good.

Put pilot super sport or 4S on front for wet weather and braking and you are fine. The Goodyears F1 are great front tyres as well.

Awesome sounds good thanks ill defs look into them, 

9 minutes ago, k31th said:

you can run some michelin or continental or nitto or toyo etc and have plenty of drive traction, but you're completely limited in that scenario as even fatter tyres etc of the same tyre compound start to struggle with grip on higher power like you've got... it's just a matter of which ones have high wear characteristics and they'll grip stronger but not last very long... and semi-slicks are on the high end of grip but of course don't last very long... if you're dailying it then you just have to be more liberal with your throttle, realistically.

ahhh okay, its just a weekender for now just the right foot tends to get heavy when I see clubby go past 🤪

• Member For: 3y 1m 24d

Pilot 4S or supersports there awesome tyres and the best on the market in my opinion without going Semi slicks, Sport cup 2s on the back with 4S or supersport up front like suggested earlier is also an idea..... only issue with the Michelin's is the cost and they wear very quickly with 400rwkw youl need a nice tyre budget, if you drive spiritedly every 8-10k youl need new rears... Oh and also in my experience the last 20% worth of tread on the Michelin's is useless once there 80% worn it's time for a new set... There OEM tyre for my merc and have noticed the same on that a C63s makes 315-320 stock and the last 20% of the tyres life it's skate city