Fuel pump issues - HELP.

Sean4.0

• Member For: 2y 11m 28d

Ok brains trust,

After enjoying my newly tuned ute I have encountered a problem that has me off the road. Last week for the first time ever, I started the car and it died soon after settling into an idle. It refused to restart... cranking over but not firing. We couldn't hear the (New 460L) fuel pump priming so we beat on the bottom of the fuel tank without any change. After trying for 10 minutes it fired back into life and we let it idle for 10 minutes and drove it home and had no further issues for a week.

Until today, the car died in heavy traffic and refused to start. Same issue, fuel pump not priming, cranking but not starting. Had to get it towed home.... and after spending the afternoon checking all fuses, relays and wiring looms I am stuck. Being a ute, access to the fuel pump is difficult by myself so any ideas before I pull off the tub and check power to the pump?

One thing that I did notice on reflection is that the idle has been a little rough... just a slight stumble now and then, not smooth like I remember.

This is the pump I bought: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/263186008738

Was I a sucker who purchased a fake pump?

Thanks in advance,

Sean

Update: Just spoke to the guy who built the pump/drop in assembly and he assures me that it's a genuine Walbro pump and "these never fail" 

He told me to check fuses and relays which I already have. He said to check the wiring harness plug at the fuel pump, so I'll endeavor to do that. 

I asked if the 460L needed a dedicated power wire, but he assured me that it doesn't (which was my understanding too).

He seams genuine and even gave me his mobile number so he can walk me through what to check when I have the plug off.

Just a bit disappointing after getting the car setup and finally registered in NSW to have these issues.... oh well... could be worse. 

Edited by Sean4.0

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

usually the higher current draw of a bigger pump like that requires a higher gauge of wiring to suit it.

• Member For: 6y 10m 28d

The 460 Walbro will only pull 18-19 amps maximum so in theory you can get away with the stock wiring and a lot of people have including me but there isn't much room for error or spikes or what not.

That ebay guy is a trusted seller I have bought a few things off him through the years. Symptoms sound like pump though as you said. Check the connection from the pump to under the module top as well.

Edited by adams355

Ok, so I have the ute tub off and am trying to diagnose the issue.

SOMETHING ELSE STRANGE is happening.... The ute now wants me to depress the clutch before it will crank the engine?  It's never done this before. Is this a symptom of low battery voltage? I ran the battery low trying to start it earlier in the week and have had it on charge over night now that I'm home from work.

• 3 weeks later...