Dual Zone A/C control issue

biddie_fiddler

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 11m 28d

Hey all,

Went to a house warming party last night, on the drive home the Mrs put the heater on and the passenger side AC was blowing the coldest air I've ever felt come out of this thing... Except it was set to "HI"... 

My side was hot, as expected. Before I go jumping to conclusions, what could be the issue? 

I've gone through the forums and I've seen some talks about faulty HIM Dual Zone controllers being a common issue and something about recalls? 

I have a kayhan head unit, but had it nearly 2 years now and I've used the heater controls with it in the past with no issues, so I'm thinking its unlikely that's its the head unit.

From everything I've read, if it is an HVAC control issue, its a dash out job to fix and really expensive 😥😥

Anything I can check, some diagnosing for example, that I can do before taking this in to Ford to see whats wrong?

I'm worried they're going to see the kayhan unit and straight up blame that for the issues. 

I've not heard of any A/C issues with these kayhan head units

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

mixer shafts can be broken and cause those symptoms, but usually cause more issues... but if you want to eliminate the issue of it being the kayhan unit just install your stock one again for a bit and see if it presents the same symptoms.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 27d
10 minutes ago, biddie_fiddler said:

the Mrs put the heater on and the passenger side AC was blowing the coldest air

Tell her to stop complaining. Problem solvered ;)

• Haha 1

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
1 hour ago, k31th said:

mixer shafts can be broken and cause those symptoms, but usually cause more issues... but if you want to eliminate the issue of it being the kayhan unit just install your stock one again for a bit and see if it presents the same symptoms.

I wish I could, I sold my stock one ☹️
It was the mk1 colour icc and dual zone, so quite sought over

• Sad 1

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

Just been trying to get more info on how the climate controls work on these FGs, how the mixer shafts work at all.

All the general controls work with the unit, I.e. when no A/C is on, just air from outside. When its like this, both sides are mint. Its only when the AC, specifically the heater, when my issue occurs.

Question, when the heater is turned on, does it also turn on the A/C (cold) too? 
Logically, to me, if you have the heater on it wouldn't need to turn on the A/C compressor for cold air. It can mix with ambient air to cool it down.

I don't know much about how these HVAC systems work so I could be wrong. 

I have to go to Nuford Wangara tomorrow to pick up a door handle cable for my brothers rig anyway (I broke it lol), so I might talk to them and suss out my options. I have extended warranty on the car which SHOULD cover the mixer shaft replacement if it is broken. Be good to get it replacements before the warranty expires xD

https://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/88190-fg-climate-aircon-fault/

Stumbled on this gem! 
Will see what comes out of my conversation with ford tomorrow.

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

Just got back from speaking to Nuford.

Bloke said it could be the HVAC controller (HIM), the flaps, or the rods. Either way all dash out jobs to fix and/or diagnose. I asked him about these being a common issue where he is "not really, just that these cars are getting old now and the plastic will begin to break". A mechanic happenened to come through and the service sales bloke told him about this issue. His response "very common issue and dash out job". Great having a dude be honest about it.

I asked if there's been any recalls or changes to these parts and the service sales guy said "they've updated the design in the FGX but that's about it, no recalls or anything".

His estimated quote, ballpark between 600 and 2k to fix.

So, I'ma see if I can get it done through extended warranty, he said to tell them that the de-mister isn't working properly because that's a safety concern and they're more likely to cover that than a broken A/C.

How hard is it to take the dash out of these cars? 😅

Home job incoming? 🤔🤣

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

So more bad news. Went to move my car last night, started fine and head unit turned on fine. Then out of the blue it went black and won't turn back on... 🤦‍♂️

I really believe this is a pure coincidence, but damn what are the odds. 

I wanted to rule out the head unit being the issue but I can't now. I've contacted Kayhan via email twice and no response so far... Really hoping they pull through, I've always been the guy on FB and the forums to stick up for this company because I truly believe they have a good product. Hoping their customer service pulls through for me.

Warranty is only 12 months on these things, and I've had it for just over 2 years now.

The Mrs has taken it to work today - I'm working from home (WA got some COVID again). Going to disconnect the battery for 10-20min when she gets home and hopefully that helps with the ICC. 

• Shocked 1