PCM issue BA Auto Turbo

05_BA_XR6T_MKII

• Member For: 11y 3m 16d

Hi All,

My 05 MKII turbo cuts out/limp mode while driving. Took it to my mechanic who said it is a intermittent PCM fault.

How much would a PCM/ECU bench test cost?

If I end up needing to replace this what is my cheapest/easiest option to get my car back to the way it was?

Cheers

• Member For: 11y 3m 16d

Hi All,

I recently installed an immobiliser on my 05 XR6 Turbo MKII & 3 weeks later it started going into limp mode/cutting out while driving.

Naturally my first thought was a faulty immobiliser but after researching possible issues it seems the fault is most likely an intermittent issue with the PCM/ECU.

Before I went off to the mechanic I decided to see if I could diagnose/fix the issue myself by replacing parts on the car that may be the cause. I've replaced the crank sensor, TPS sensor, did oil change, new sparks, injector cleaner, replaced the inlet manifold gasket, disconnect/reconnect the PCM, new battery, took off & cleaned the throttle body.

I want to keep going with replacing things (O2 sensor/Map sensor/New throttle body) just in case & also why not, it's an old car that will prob need it soon anyway.

After 12 days at the mechanic the cause was not found so he concluded PCM/ECU was most likely the problem.

He was sus on the immobiliser saying that the technician could have grabbed power from the wrong place & caused a power surge somewhere. Hmm.

What should I do next?

1. Take out the immobiliser. Drive it & see?

2. Bench test PCM/ECU? Where is the best place to do this? approx cost?

3. Just bite the bullet buy a new ECU. Get it tuned/reprogrammed.

What's the cheapest ECU & installation cost? What does the reprogram process involve? Anything else required for new ECU?

Basically I just want my car back on the road the way it was.

I would really appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers

Sebastian

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 20d

That plug I was on about, unplug it again and tighten the pins in the connector.

It can cause intermittent pcm errors.

Now that you mentioned the issue started after the immobiliser install, I would look there for a solution.