My other project

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 30d

nice audio gear, I dont really understand though why guys put money into a muscle car resto to fill the boot with subs and speakers. stock head unit ftw. 

I prefer the window down and listening to this :3gears:

• Haha 1

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 3m 5d

Just went through this thread for the first time. Awesome work man, I have a soft spot for the VP SS I sold many years ago for beer money. I miss her dearly.

Having nearly finished restoring an old HJ I know the pain you've gone through. Cleaning and preping parts is the worst if you're not in the mood that particular day. Very impressed with what you've achieved, the build quality is amazing, a credit to you.  

Nostalgic picture that make me sad

DSC01074-Copy.jpg

• Like 1

• Member For: 17y 10m 30d

Thanks mate. It's a lot of work, but it will be worth it in the end. You're almost at the finish line. Lucky you.  Nice VP. 😄

My painter said that I was being too fussy in some areas. It didn't cost me anything more, just my time... All in all this is and will always built to be a street car.

On 26/10/2022 at 10:12 PM, bossmang said:

nice audio gear, I dont really understand though why guys put money into a muscle car resto to fill the boot with subs and speakers. stock head unit ftw. 

I prefer the window down and listening to this :3gears:

It is nice to just cruise. But some creature comforts are good too...  

Unfortunately, I only have one set of series II door cards, and they were already modified. So I might as well go with it and make something  nice out of a bad thing.

• 9 months later...

After a long wait, I have made it to the front of my engine guys cue.

We grouted the block and added some clearance in the cylinders. While there, we checked the lifter bore oiling feed heights to ensure that the lifter didn't lose oil/pressure. They were right on the limit, so we tear dropped the oil feeds and honed the bore to our specifications. 

The short has now been assembled. It and the heads are awaiting paint. Fingers crossed that this will be completed prior to my return and final assembly can commence. We've pulled the blower out of the box and removed it form the manifold and it will be machined to suit.

em51Bn5.jpg

eC7f4pq.jpg

ykRZGdL.jpg

lHu7Fuu.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It's been a while since I have posted. Unfortunately, I have been busy with other things and have not had a lot of time for the car. In saying that, the build has not stopped, only slowed due to waiting on suppliers - Clutch and drop tank...

I have dummied up the Reidspeed kit and accessories. If fitted well, and I had to remove it all for the engine to be run in on the dyno. We could not run the blower at the time, as my wiring guy was unavailable. So, I made a plate to fit on the blower manifold and we ran a 650 Holley on it. We weren't chasing a power figure for it. We pretty much ran it up, just to check the lifters were receiving adequate oil, bed the rings and check for any leaks before it gets installed into the car.

nVhBMFA.jpg

The standard air conditioning compressor brackets looked ugly as, so I has it nickel plated. Afterwards, I decided to paint it black, so that it will not stand out...

I'm currently waiting on my wiring guy to do his part before the engine is installed into the car. The engine will go in without the Reidspeed serpentine kit installed, as it is wider that the area between the chassis rails. Still waiting on Mal Wood for the custom twin plate clutch for the ZF S6-40 transmission. this might delay the engine install further, as I'd like to pull the front cross member and install this from underneath the car together.

I have ordered a new alloy drop tank for the car. The manufacturer doesn't actually make tank for this model, nut I have managed to persuade him to do so. He does amazing work. He has promised to send some pics of it's assembly, so that I can provide some input. I had to go with the drop tank, as I could not fit 2 x Walbro 525 pumps into the standard tank. It will be put aside, in case the car ever has to be put back to standard.

I've made a plug/mould, so that I could make some carbon fibre brake backing plates, for the bigger Group A brakes. I have some pics of it somewhere, I will post them up when I find them... I'll try to make the parts some time this week...

On another note, I managed to buy another VN Group A engine, that came to my area in a VL Walkinshaw. The guy spun a big end bearing in the rod and never put the engine back together. Given the components in it's build, it would have been a very tough engine in its day. The heads have nice porting, with top quality components, The engine cam with a Auscrank 3,4' crank, KB pistons, A9l rods, solid roller, straight cut cam gear set, bid $$ sump and a set of Morrison ITB's. I've already stripped all components out and have started to rebuild it bigger and stronger. I had the ITB's vapor blasted. the picture speaks to the results..

Anyway, that's enough rambling for now. I'll try to get back an post more updates soon.

GVm8xO2.jpg

SBmcaCJ.jpg

Z3r2GgH.jpg

aQqkVV4.jpg

• Like 3