How many kms is too many???

Turboutesforlife

• Member For: 3y 21d

Hi guys new here!! 
Looking to buy an xr6t Ute and just wanted some advice on kilometres. My budget can’t stretch past 25k and I have to questions

First, what do you think I’ll be able to get for that money in regards to age and kms driven (only want a manual) 

and more importantly 

in regard to the Barra turbo engine, how many k’s is too many? I know they’re crazy tough but is 175,000 long in the tooth or plenty left? How long do they go for before they go boom? I know they last better with more regular servicing etc etc but would buy a Ute with 180,000 kms plus be a mistake. I want it to last a while 

cheers

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 14d

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

manual are harder to come by for sale these days, so it'll be harder for you to find one within your budget.

km's depends on a lot of factors... how long it's been modified (if it has), how well done is the servicing and maintenance, what sort of driving is done be it longer drives or shorter drives... just to name a few.

If you do the precautionary full-service when you purchase the vehicle then have a competent mechanic check for potential issues down the track, in that process you should be able to run the car safely into many more hundreds of thousands of km's as a Barra can last a million+ km's in a taxi, but that's obviously the least stressful pathway for an engine (heat cycling is minimal) and rarely flogged, especially with customers on board so often.

• Member For: 3y 21d

Thanks for your reply I really appreciate it and it gives me some reassurance that a 170.000km car well looked after has plenty of life left. I had a subur beforehand with 220,000 and it didn’t really have much left in it. 
I always do a super comprehensive service and whatnot upon buying a car to know what I’m up against so that sounds up my alley
what do you all think of this?

https://www.carsguide.com.au/cars-for-sale/D_11788990/FORD--FALCON--VIC+-+Melbourne--DEER+PARK+3023,+VIC--Ute+/+Tray?searchKey=cg_s.d580e59741b59dd186c3f3f53e885713#pos1

currently what I’m looking at

cheers again

• Member For: 3y 1m 30d

If it’s been well maintained those Klms are

nothing Maintenance is a lot more important then kays, my F6 has 87k on it drives like the day it left dealer for the most part,,

old company I worked for let me pick my company ute of course I picked  a xrt ute they were responsible for maintenance and were very lax on taking care of it by 110k the thing felt like it was completely rooted... it’s all about the life it’s had,

for 25k if the cars clean when you see it it’s a good buy turbo falcon prices are nuts atm you won’t get a good FG for that money I don’t think 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 26d
6 minutes ago, TRYME said:

turbo falcon prices are nuts atm

That doesn't mean the cars are worth that much, it just means people are going fishing lol :fishing2:

I have a 918awhp turbo territory for sale. Soon it'll be over 1000awhp and have dyno sheets to prove it. 65k obo ;)

• Member For: 3y 1m 30d
4 minutes ago, Puffwagon said:

That doesn't mean the cars are worth that much, it just means people are going fishing lol :fishing2:

I have a 918awhp turbo territory for sale. Soon it'll be over 1000awhp and have dyno sheets to prove it. 65k obo ;)

Sounds like a beast!

Yea the cars mite not really be worth that much and I tend to agree but that’s what the market is Demanding and there selling for those prices as well... clean FG turbos dont stay on the market long even with inflated prices.... so are they really worth that much no but if people are paying the inflated prices for them then maybe??? Somethings worth what someone is willing to pay for It... mind you I don’t think this market will last long 

it’s also helped by the fact that VF HSVs are going for AMG money putting them out of reach for a lot of people.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 26d

Yeah good points there and I agree that this market wont last forever. I'd personally wait a couple of years for things to chill out but that's just me.

• Like 1