Already tuned on stock dump, do I need a new tune for new dump?

hjtrbo

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

Locking tunes is usually for workshops that can’t tune right and want to hide something, That said yeh Zane has a pretty good reputation but I’m doubtful he’s going to be letting any spectator secrets out the door on this one if he was to unlock it. 

Looks like it’s some useful information for the next bloke that might be contemplating going there or at least have the knowledge that this situation  could be an outcome for them too. 

Did you happen to get prior warning that this was going to be the case ? 

I’m all about the car and tune remaining the customers property and payment entitles the owner to whatever information is left within that vehicle unless strict clear concise warning prior about whatever lock out a tuner needs to add in to protect his Intellectual property for whatever reason they might justify ( Ground breaking advantages over a competitors offerings ) but for your average joe and his tuned vehicle it’s really unacceptable imho.  

• Like 1

• Member For: 3y 1m 3d

@JETURBO

thanks for your input jet,, mate could I ask (without you giving anything you don’t wanna give away) mate say for example a basic dump injectors intercooler tune would the way the car is tuned between 2 or 3 professional Shops vary that much that tunes justify being locked? 
Are there really that many ways of going about it? Or not really?

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 9d

I bought the car already tuned. So it's my fault for not doing due diligence prior to purchase to see if the tune could be read and edited. 

Hoping my experience might help others. It might not seem a big deal at the time accepting a locked tune, but down the road when circumstances change such as taking job opportunities and moving away for one example, or a potential purchaser of your car pulls out of the sale as another example. Attractive re-sale is important too. 

As mods happen in the future you're up for a start again tune from someone else and the sour taste that goes with it.

Of course of Zane is on here and will unlock my tune I'll make a large donation to the forum to have this thread taken down. 

He won’t unlock your tune... his rep is good enough that one unhappy person about his tune being locked won’t bother him one bit.... sucks .... probably also dosent help that you weren’t the one that paid him for the tune..

mate tbh in my opinion a tune being locked won’t do anything to resale in most people’s eyes as most additional mods require a retune anyways it’s not so much different to having a factory stock vehicle as most mods require tuning regardless. 

sucks he won’t help you out especially as what I think jet it saying that the tune won’t contain any secrets in it anyways.. could be more of a cash grab on his end hoping you return to him for a retune 

ps his offer of a remote tune is bullsh*t he knows to hire a dyno and buy pcmtec that your up at retune dollars

anyway he knew that when he made the offer, exactly why he said he’s not happy with a few road pulls in 4th gear 

Edited by TRYME
  • Like 1

Roland at Pcmtec certainly missed out on a guaranteed sale. Would have been more than happy to buy the professional version along with the 5 or whatever it was credits for the custom OS mods that the car has. About $1200 or something like that when including a cable. Hell, I was more than happy to pay the $800 odd it cost me to get control of my VF with HP Tuners to sort out some driveability issues. Better than going back and forward with the tuner 3 or 7 times to get the little sh*t dialled in. At least APS looked after me with getting me in the tune so I could f@ck around with the VE table to sort an off idle miss. 

Its not so much the money sometimes it's the principal. 

Yea totally get you principal is worth more

Then money sometimes and it’s nice to be able to make adjustments to something you paid for anyway....... as I far as I see it when you pay for a tune you pay for the knowledge as well as the finished product which means what’s on the tune should be yours to do as u wish.... additionally to that tuning of these cars isn’t anything new they’ve been around for years I don’t really know how much Is left to Discover with these cars that hasn’t already been...

hey for those in the know if you use a haltech plug and play can the tune be locked or can the next tune shop

see What the one previous has done? 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

it's generally something like a tickbox in the calibration file that holds the tune parameters and when it's uploaded it follows that instruction to do what's necessary in that situation; e.g. a lock or not.

Yeah, on the pcmtec forums it's described as a soft lock. Need the worskhop version to set it and the professional or workshop versions can unset it.

Don't how strong it is. If it's just a case of flipping a bit in the offline file then someone will bypass it no time. The software appears to make a 'call back to base' everytime it's opened so I'm leaning towards something a lot more complex than just bit flipping.... Just theories....

Back on track. Normally I'd use HP or Forscan to log; just used the phone on this occasion as it was an opportunistic data capture. @Puffwagon a quick education please.  The little spike showing on the graph, this is the bit the actuator preload can help with right? This is the current setup with factory dump. 

Screenshot_20210405-163833_Gallery.jpg