2010 F6 engine what to replace

norrs

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 8m 6d

Hi guys,

I've been searching the threads and I can't seem to find an answer to the below.  My f6 has been happily running near 380rwkw on 98 as a daily driver for a few years now.  The engine is stock internals.  Well the other day I might have pushed her a little too hard.  I've now got a head gasket leak.   I see this as a fantastic excuse to freshen things up.  I live in Darwin so I want to make sure I've got most of the parts in advance so the car isn't off the road too long.  Freight to Darwin is sh*t.  So while the engine is out I want to know what I should be replacing.  BTW the car still runs perfectly fine its just leaking and using heaps of oil.   I assume I should do the following:

1. Oil Pump gears & Backing plate

2. Valve springs

3. Head studs & OS washers

My Question is whether there is anything else I need to replace as insurance if I'm aiming for a max of about 450kw (well lets dream of 500) if I ever go e85.  From what gather the F6's already have strengthened conrods and pistons which I assume should be fine for the numbers I'm seeking. So unless my mechanic sees any wear that requires attention, I plan to leave the bottom end as is. 

My question is mainly aimed at timing chain guide, Crankshaft Sprocket, etc... Were there any improvements with these items for the F6's?  I'm aware that some of the guides fail but I'm not sure if the 2010 F6's use the same sh*tty bits.  My valve springs have been fine to date so I assume they are a little stronger in F6's but I gather after 160,000km I should upgrade.  

Any thoughts or advice is welcome. 

Edited by norrs

• Member For: 3y 1m 4d

My advice I’m no pro on falcons but have built a few quick cars in my time but anyways the fg f6 has same timing gear as the other fg falcons and upgrading it At 450-500rwkw is good idea, oil pump deffs needs doing as well as your valve springs..

head studs funny enough is abit of a hit and miss but while engine is out do them...

FG f6 is abit of a misconception there almost an identical engine to the regular FGs same timing gear and valve springs only difference is mahle cast pistons with a slightly lower Comp ratio 

at 450-500rwkw a stock f6 engine piston and rod wise can handle it BUT your starting to push it and the tune is really  limited in the way boost can be brought on, put it this way with a basic rod and piston combo boost can be fed in much harder and quicker and youl really notice the difference if funds allow while the engine is out id be upgrading....

running around with 450-500rwkw pushing the car hard (which it sounds like you do) your eventually gonna have problems with a standard engine 

• Like 1