ZF box ? playing up at drags

snakeoilstu

• Member For: 15y 3m 21d

Had a go at the drags this weekend, 2009 FG XR6T with 300rwkw tune road tyres dropped to 25psi on the rears and ZF 6 speed box. Got some clean runs in at 12.9 secs and TV's around 110-113mph but I know its got more in it. Couple of problems, "sport" mode didnt seem to do any better than normal drive......is that what you'd expect ? On a number of runs the gearbox or something seemed to do a big stall between 1-2 and 2-3 ...............must have cost half a second each time.  Seemed to happen more often in sport mode. This is with 2 hrs between runs so hard to imagine its gearbox fluid temp ? Also I had a cooler fitted to the box. Any thoughts ? Be nice to run into the high 11's.................is that doable on that power using drag slicks ? What size will fit ? 275's ? Go for a smaller rim ?

• Member For: 3y 1m 3d

12.9 is allitle slow for 300rwkw should be able to dip into mid 12s with that power,, what mods you got for 300rwkw? 

has the ZF been tuned? 

either your launch I.E 60 foot needs improvement, your not making a true 300rwkw Or the ZF is the issue could be in the tune or has the car got a heap of Kays on it? ZF could need a freshen up or a service 

hmmm anyone please correct me if im

Wrong but I don’t think 300rwkw is

Enough to dip into the 11s in the heavy falcon 

when my fg f6 was making 350rwkw I was touching the high 11s but I was on street tyres and my 60ft weren’t anything crash hot either so I think you may need allitle more for 11s

• Member For: 5y 6m 24d

300rwkw is going to be a tall order to break into the 11's - especially on street tyres.

I'm running 350rwkw on E85 and on drag radials I'm "only" doing 11.5's @ 121mph (1.75sec 60').

Street tyres with 350rwkw I was doing 12.2's - albeit about the same 1.9-2.0sec 60' as when I was stock and running 12.9's as I was having trouble getting all that E85 torque to the ground haha

I'm tuned with PCMTec and have another round of racing this Friday - at the end of the night I will put some street tyres on, choose the mid tune (which is about 300rwkw on E85) and let you know how I go :)

Yea post back be great to hear how you go!!,, I’m more about the roll racing these days it’s just easier on the driveline not having to worry about the launch staging etc... still enjoy the Christmas tree challenge I just don’t get out there as much

Hey.
So after turning up late and only getting one qualifying run in (11.8 ) I went straight into eliminations.
After being knocked out early on in C2 class (Street car class, turbo 2wd. Must have rego and wof) by a stripped out R32 Skyline that is trailered to and from the track - so not really a street car..... Not that I'm bitter about it haha.... I didn't do any grudge racing to test the lower tune out.

Soz!

Hey 11.xx for amount of power your running is great and roughly what I expected, good work!! Thanks for posting back and letting us know how you did! Shame about the skyline dosent sound like a street car to me haha 

• 3 weeks later...

I had an interesting experience on Friday.

The track wasn't there and with small FGX turbo, the torque hits too hard in first and I just spin, even with Mickey Thompson drag radials on (albeit slightly worn).

Thought I'd try starting in second. Worked well but felt like it was slipping all through second and a little in third.

Not sure I like the idea of starting in second as I imagine it has to slip a little initially and seems to find it hard to lock up....

Anyone else tried launching in second?