Replacing VCT connector

biddie_fiddler

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 22d

So during the install of my powder coated rocker cover, I snapped the clip on the VCT connector plug 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

It was quite brittle, didn't even put any force on it when I was removing it. I've seen this pop up on some FB pages before so I'm guessing its just a Ford thing...

I ordered 2 replacement plugs and they arrived today, but I'm wondering if I'll be able to get away with just using the housing and not cut an re-crimp the wires?

Does anyone know how to disassemble these plugs? After some short time inspecting the cooked plug, I'm a bit unsure on how it comes apart.

There appears to be a lock on the front of the connector (orange thing in the pic below), this part happens to be broken on the plug on my car too but the wires still appear to be pretty firmly in there.

I'm used to these kind of plugs having a hook of some kind on the pin that once pushed in cannot come out without a tool to compress the hook.

I'm pretty comfortable doing my own wiring and crimping. I have the tools to do this, I just don't want to cut the wires seeing as they're already pretty short.

s-l500.jpg

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 10d

my guess would be you'd be better off de-pinning and re-pinning into the new connector... that shell doesn't look like it comes apart non-destructively

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

Yea that's what I meant in my post xD

By "disassemble" I mean de-pinning it... My choice of words wasn't the best.

I'm gonna give it crack this weekend with a sim card removal tool or a paper clip. From what I've seen online the de-pinning tools is basically the same thing

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

Yea I have a set of picks but they're stupidly large 🙃

They're like these, the pick end is removable from the handle, Maybe I'll grind one down to fit into connectors 😋

Park-Tool-Utility-Pick-Set-UP-SET-Intern

• Like 1

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

So I tackled this once I picked up the Mrs from the station.

Was a lot less hassle than I'd thought. Used a pick to get to the plastic clip holding the pin in place... Didn't end up unclipping it though, instead the the connector disintegrated! 🤣

that's one way of replacing the connector housing 🤷‍♂️

Replaced the other VCT connector seeing as I ordered two new ones. Surprise surprise it did the exact same thing 😜

At least I have new connectors now though! Good as new!

5lPyIcz.jpg

Also finished re-installing the coil cover since fitting the new rocker cover. Didn't want to waste my time doing this until the connectors were fixed. Looking mint now 👌

• Like 1