Barra swap help

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 2m 11d

I am looking at doing an engine swap into an older vehicle that came out with no electronics (pre 80s), don't want to say what for now but there is heaps of room to fit it in. 

My target power figure is 700 wheel hp, E85, auto, previously I have owned a 350rwkw BAII F6 ute so love these engines but my knowledge is a bit out of date and doesn't extend beyond BAs and easy performance gains.

Having spoken to a few local tuning companies and some people I saw at a roll racing event I have a few questions I'd love some help with and rather than post every thing in each forum area it is easier to do one post and hope I get the help I need. My questions are:

1. For the conversion I will need donor engine, trans, loom, ecu, pedal box, OBD2 port and I guess all associated parts running off the engine. Will run aftermarket turbo and high mount manifold, cooler, fueling system and a haltech dash more than likely. There is always plenty of options to buy NA engines or a written off vehicle, and seeing as I will need to do rods, pistons, valve springs, studs and bolts, does it matter if I buy a NA motor and build that, or do the turbo ones have more strengthening, differences to consider? I would more than likely be looking at an FG engine and use a standard turbo intake manifold, tuning with an Xcal which a tuner told me is no dramas. I spoke to someone who had all the running gear from a turbo bolted on a gas motor with stronger rods and he said it loved it, and it was moving on the track. Another car I saw made 1000+wheel hp with the standard FG intake manifold.

2. I have conflicting information about the ZF box and its capabilities. Some say fine, some say not at all and look at a TH400, some say fine but build the clutch packs, tune it and have a decent converter installed, some say an aftermarket box will throw codes and stuff without the computer for the trans. Are all ZFs the same (NA, turbo, V8?) An answer or link to a thread with more info would be great.

3. Column shifting a ZF. Utilising a falcon ute column shift set up is this a simple matter of bolting an attachment on the ZF box and getting the column shift set up right on my car, or is it a lot more complicated or use different box/parts than normal? Is there an easier or better option I should look at? Would like to drive in D most of the time with the ability to bang through gears similar to a B&M setup for racing events because cool and bench seat.

4. From what I've looked at using online calculators I will need 1500cc injectors for this figure, 80% duty max and E85. Are siemens deka still a good option? I had them on my F6 and was happy with them, I have 0 experience with E85 been a long time since I've looked at anything to do with that side of things. Any other fuelling considerations that radically differ from 98?

5. This one is for the people who've done similar swaps, am I overlooking anything obvious or otherwise that could throw a spanner in the works? Anything that caught you out or glaringly obvious things I've missed? Obviously there's a lot more to the build than what I've asked here but I have a fair bit of other info, these are the parts of the build that have me stumped at this early stage.

Bit to go on and as you can read it doesn't all apply to one thread. Thanks in advance if you got this far, and even more so if you've got some info or advice for me.

Cheers,

Ben.

• Member For: 8y 6m 8d

The ZF is different between NA, turbo and V8. V8 has a different bellhousing so can't use that, turbo has more clutch packs than the na ones.

ZF can be built but can be costly, th400 or powerglide can be a good option but can be just as much as getting a ZF built.

As far as I know, the column shift only suits the 4 speed BTR transmission.

NA engine can be used to build an engine

• Like 2

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 2m 11d

thanks NA_TURBO. So if I was to have to get a trans built anyway and can get a ZF cheap enough it shouldn't matter too much as to what donor car it comes from out of the NA or turbo?

I have found a NA wreck close by that I can get everything from for around a grand.