Oil pump and timing chain info?

Frank Castle 85

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

do you have a boost gauge? 20psi is wayy too much for ~310kw, if that's what your dyno says, it only gives up a bit of info about how bad the tuner is at tuning on the Barra platform.

• Like 1

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

If I was you and getting those codes and needing that much boost for that power, I'd be going gentle on the car until you get into another tuner. Sounds like some basics aren't right so makes you wonder what else could be suspect. Last thing you want us a broken motor.

I think most people find about 13ish psi is about right for 300ish on the FG factory turbo.

You shouldn't need an eboost - there's no reason the factory boost control can't be tuned correctly for what you want to do.

• Like 2

Thanks mate - will do. What would you suggest to replace for boost controller? Noob alert haha. I've been on motorbikes my whole life.

1 hour ago, k31th said:

do you have a boost gauge? 20psi is wayy too much for ~310kw, if that's what your dyno says, it only gives up a bit of info about how bad the tuner is at tuning on the Barra platform.

Yeah mate, goes to 20 PSI. Glad I was not the only one that thought that. When they showed me the dyno results, I was like, "How did you get so high in boost but so little in power?" I honestly thought I'd get more. I thought the stock turbo would hold up until at least 400kw?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

The stock FG XR6T turbocharger is not able to get past 320-330 or so on 98 and 340-350 or so on E85, so nah, 400kW isn't going to happen on that smaller turbo (if that's what you've got on your car, which is likely). The BA-BF and FG F6 turbocharger is bigger and can support approx 400 on 98, but that's out of it's efficiency range (same with the figures quoted above for the smaller turbo) and a bit more on E85.

You also don't need to replace anything for the boost control until you get way beyond your current goals :)

• Like 2

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

Factory ECU has decent boost control which the tuner can manage with the tuning software (PCMTEC, HP Tuners, etc). So if you are paying for a tune you shouldn't need to spend anything on boost control hardware.

Factory FG turbo tops out around 320kw. It is a good, responsive turbo on the Barra though, so if you shoot for more power and go bigger you will trade off a bit of response on the street so depends what you want to use the car for.

Edit: posted same time as Keith but same same. I should have said I was talking 98 not E85

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, k31th said:

The stock FG XR6T turbocharger is not able to get past 320-330 or so on 98 and 340-350 or so on E85, so nah, 400kW isn't going to happen on that smaller turbo (if that's what you've got on your car, which is likely). The BA-BF and FG F6 turbocharger is bigger and can support approx 400 on 98, but that's out of it's efficiency range (same with the figures quoted above for the smaller turbo) and a bit more on E85.

You also don't need to replace anything for the boost control until you get way beyond your current goals :)

Legendary! Thanks mate. Yeah I got the MK2 FG turbo - small. Thanks for being patient. Still learning what the Barra can and can't handle. 

So having the Pulsar 3584 is too big or it'll do just fine?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

well, the pulsar GTX3584RS G2 Garret copy version (if that's the one you've got, which I assume it is, based on it's current popularity) is a fairly bigger turbo (at 67mm when the stock is 53mm and the B-series turbo is 61mm) but definitely isn't too big if you want more than 400 at the wheels.

• Like 1

Yeah it is, I got it for cost price. I've been told and I don't know how true it is, is that they're the rejected Garret ones. But, people seem to be doing just fine with them. If it dies on me, then I'll get the proper Garret one.

Have you used BarraMods website for buying parts? I keep seeing that page smashed over the Barra pages on FB and I'm all for supporting Aussie companies, would you recommend?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

I've personally never used that website and don't know anybody who has, but the products and prices seem about market standard from a cursory glance.

• 6 months later...