Oil pump and timing chain info?

Frank Castle 85

Hey all,

At what KW/ HP did you change your oil pump gears at for an FG MK2 X6T ute 6 speed manual? Like is there a specific HP you need to change them at? 

I'm only chasing 500ish hp. 

So far my mods are for power are as follows: 

1. 4in dump into 3.5 Xforce middle muffle delete

2. 460 Walbro pump

3. Bosch 1000cc injectors

4. Turbosmart actuator 12 psi

5. Antz intercooler piping

6. Antz battery relocation with turbo side intake

7. Autotechnica intercooler (not by choice, came with car, car was stock when I bought it back in October last year, PWR stepped should arrive this week - Covid delays everything)

So far the car made 307.69kw (412 hp) at the wheels at 20 PSI (turbo and intercooler maxed out)

What I have for upgrade in my house (is this good for 500hp): 

Pulsar 3584r

Crow Cams Valve springs

PWR stepped intercooler (should be delivered this week).

Will I need or will I only need this if I'm chasing more power?

1. APR head studs 12mm

2. Timing Chain and sprocket 

3. Oil pump gears, backing plate and spring

I'm only chasing 500hp at the wheels as if I want to go faster, I'll just jump on my Busa - haha. 

Any help or information is very much appreciated.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

You might want to look into getting a softer wastegate spring, as I think the Pulsar 3584rs comes with 14psi worth of spring.

I'd suggest doing some work to the short radius of the wastegate exit in the turbine housing, as it is a right angle from factory. I couldn't get it to make less than 25psi at gate pressure with a hectic exhaust system. It might be slightly better with a more restrictive system.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d
1 minute ago, Frank Castle 85 said:

Are they that fragile? 

basically, yes... because it's to do with a failure to change gear and a limiter hit... the bounce off the limiter and the ECU feedback on that process puts pressure on the timing chain and can cause it to skip a tooth or put a crack in the timing chain guide which eventually leads to failure.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

yeah, unfortunately Barra's don't love a limiter hit with attempted torque reduction from the ECU... every time you do it there's a chance the above can happen :) upgrading the timing chain, guide and oil pump gears is good insurance against the damage that can be done via this.

Yeah wicked, makes sense. I don't limiter bash but there could be that one day. haha. Thanks for info. 

11 minutes ago, Puffwagon said:

You might want to look into getting a softer wastegate spring, as I think the Pulsar 3584rs comes with 14psi worth of spring.

I'd suggest doing some work to the short radius of the wastegate exit in the turbine housing, as it is a right angle from factory. I couldn't get it to make less than 25psi at gate pressure with a hectic exhaust system. It might be slightly better with a more restrictive system.

I'll let you know mate. Hopefully I don't run into the same problems. I'll be swapping out the turbo smart actuator that's on the stock turbo currently, so hopefully that helps.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

even a turbosmart actuator can cause all number of problems if not setup correctly (which is reportedly a bit finnicky to get setup properly and tuned appropriately), but it sounds like yours was doing OK with the actuator as-is, so should be a reasonably simple process to make it work with the turbo you want to use.

Really? This might explain two things. If I brake boost or at random if I go to overtake someone either in 3rd or 4th, I'm the lucky receiver of codes P0236 and P0238 codes. High boost sensor. I've replaced them a month and this still comes up. I've stopped brake boosting. But I'll only get them while randomly over taking people now. Hopefully an eboost and retune will stop this. lol.This has only happened since the tune.

FYI - I erase the codes and the car is good again. I drove from Cairns to Brisbane over two days (Friday and Saturday, as in yesterday) and it only came on once yesterday. The day before a few times, I put this down to how humid the air was haha. It was like driving through water.

Edited by Frank Castle 85