Current tyre preferences

El Andrew

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2d

My Invos are almost toast so I'm in the market for something new for my FG. Didn't mind the Invos - got 25k out of them but found them a bit average in the wet. Car is still a daily for now, with the cruise etc so want so want something grippy but not that will shred too quickly.

Pricing on Invos at the moment mean it is worth looking at other options. About $220 compared to $180 last time.

Other tyres on my short list are:

Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric - heard good think about these, are about $290. Haven't seen much on this site about them though.

Bridgestone RE003 - about $250. Guy at the local Bridgestone reckons he has them on his modded FG and they grip well and he gets 40k out if them. Have seen elsewhere they wear pretty quick.

Anyone with any recent thoughts or experiences on any of these? I reckon I'm leaning slightly towards giving the RE003s. Might be the last set of daily tyres I get for it as considering buying another car for the commute in the next year or so, in which case I'd probably get PilotSport 4S next time and save them for he twisties.

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 30d

well theres plenty of good options, think before you go a good daily tyre as opposed if your going a weekender tyre if you get another car to daily commute. 

I work for good year so naturally I would suggest them. the asymmetric 5s are good all rounder for daily for sure. 

Pilot sports 4s are up there but also goodyear developed a competitor called the supersport and both are very similar and go head to head alot with not much between them, end of the day I say get whichever you get the best deal on. but the goodyear has slightly better wet performance than the pilot sport.

a bridgestone dealer would of course have a potenza its the only grippy tyre they have lol

• Member For: 6y 11m 23d

I have the Dunlop Sport FM800's at the moment, they have been very good and great in the wet about $150 each. If you want to spend more the PS4's are the way to go you can find them around $215-230 these days.

• Gold Donating Members

Thanks guys.

I reckon I'll get through another set of boots before I stop using it daily.

I tend to avoid Dunlops as the Sport Max I've had before were awful for wear, wet grip and tramlining. Every tread pattern and compound is different though so I'm probably being unfair. Unfortunately the PS4 doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere at a sensible price.

Will be good R&D at any rate.

• Member For: 6y 11m 23d

Yea I'm not a Dunlop fan either, these are their only good sport max tyres. I think they are made at a different place than the others. The guy I bought tyres from was the same only FM800 rest are crap. But anyways. They are just good bang for buck. Better than any of the even 'good' Chinese stuff.

• Gold Donating Members

Haha yeah the car had $89 Chinese tyres on it when I bought it - paperwork suggested they'd been changed before sale to clear the roadworthy.

With over 300 at the wheels it was sketchy to say the least. They only stayed on the car about two weeks.