Fgx g6e power steering hard line leak fix?

Voy

• Member For: 3y 1m 28d

Hey,

needing help on how to fix this leak coming from the connection to the power steering pump from the hardline.

is it the same as the ba bf model? as that's all the info I could find online nothing about fg fgx models.

repco wanted 500$ for a replacement line repco 390$

I was gonna replace just the o ring on the end of the line but read that theres another seal in the nut? But all the info was referring to older model fords...

cheapest and easiest way to fix? Pump is off the car

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

I doubt that they would have upgraded the power steering line on the FGX over the FG... looking around at links like this:

https://www.jeffersonfordparts.com.au/ford-power-steering-hose-assembly

that tells me the FG is the same as FGX.

The setup is slightly different between B-series and FG variants, so you'll have to be buying a 2008-onwards or FG-onwards variant.

Thank you, that's the correct part not sure if just changing the green o ring will fix the leak? Any experience in this area? 

The o ring was quite damaged ford said they didnt just sell the oring

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

yeah, ford spare parts only sell that whole assembly in the link in my first post in this thread... you can get aftermarket replacement lines that go from the bottom of the reservoir/pump to the steering rack, without replacing the other half of the line, which was what I did last time I had this power steering leak... I've never seen people replace just the o-ring and have it be successful in the stock line; but I believe there's an aftermarket line that allows you to service the o-ring successfully, I just don't have the details on hand.

• Like 1

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

https://www.ultimatepowersteering.com.au/ford-falcon-fg-series-2-fg-x-12-11-2-17-6-cylinder-new-high-pressure-hose-assembly/

Try these guys - looks like they list a separate Fg2/Fgx line to the FG line.

Haven't tried one on my FG, but the one I got from them for the old BA had a different design so you could replace just the o-ring for future leaks. So buy the new hose once and then in future just swap the o-ring.

Looks like about half the price of what you have been quoted.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, ive just replaced the o ring for now im not sure how buying a new line will be any different to just replacing the oring as the line is metal and should be no different to the existing one, the only perishably part is the o-ring. Makes no sense to me but hey will see soon.

gonna try couple of different sized o-rings too some bulkier ones in the same I/d as now that ive done it once can replace fairly quickly. 

also replaced the alternator as im guessing the oil cooked it. 

will update this thread if I need to replace the line in the future

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

Will be interesting to see what it does. The BA and BF design doesn't allow the leaking seal that is the culprit to be replaced due to the captive nut, hence the after market design that Ultimate Power Steering (and probably others) do.

Not sure if Ford updated the design for FG/FG-X to resolve this. Certainly isn't as much stuff on forums about leaking power steering so presumably they must have fixed the root cause anyway, but that doesn't help you. My FG is the first Falcon I've had that hasn't needed a new hose at some stage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 24d

My awd territory leaks from the actual pressed section of the main line (steel crimped to hose) and not the fitting. It astounds me it hasn't totally phucked out after 11yrs of me owning it and Lucas stop leak didn't work because it's not the pump or rack leaking! It's so slow of a leak that I've only had to top it up once in the 11yrs of me owning it...
The low pressure line has perished so I'll need to replace it soon which means a complete drain.

• 11 months later...
  • Member For: 5y 3m 24d

Has anyone had a custom powersteer line made up by a hydraulic hose shop? Seems stupid that the stock fg/fgx line comes off reservoir then goes down and then way back and loops back forward  to go onto rack, when it could go straight down from reservoir to rack. I'm thinking of getting my line modified to go straight down from reservoir to rack and also getting a 90 elbow fitting for power steer sensor so my new turboside intake pipe will clear it. I don't really want to bend it down and create a leak on reservoir fitting because I have had to replace the whole line as well for like over $500 for the part. Can a elbow be put on power steer line and sensor be screwed onto it? Or will the sensor have a hissy fit because it's further away from the main line?