Territory mid muffler

DavidF

• Member For: 4y 3m 23d

I have a turbo territory that has had its mid muffler replaced with a hotdog.

As I mainly do highway driving the drone is just too loud.

I have been chasing a original mid muffler but have had no luck yet.

What are my options besides just installing a no name muffler?

Edited by DavidF

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

surely the place you got the mid muffler done will have a stock mid muffler... go to a wrecker and get a stock exhaust.

In order to not get pointless posts like above looks like I will need to provide additional information.

I have contacted Ford for a middle muffler but they want $650 for it.

I have rang many wreckers and they do not have any.

While most ford owners know about deleting mid mufflers. Sourcing a stock muffler to reinstall is a challenge. Venom Exhaust stated that they are having problems sourcing mid mufflers and were not able to recommend a off the shelf muffler to install. They are currently in the process of testing mid mufflers but this will take some time.

Tuner has suggested to reinstall ford mid muffler. I suspect that tuners are familiar with the original mufflers and there can be no questioning of the noise level.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

Plenty of us on this forum know about replacing the middle muffler... not sure why you'd say no Ford owners would know about it???

Nobody bothers replacing the mid muffler with anything other than either a straight pipe or a hotdog muffler as people want the extra resonance that this cheap and easy modification entails... since you've discovered you don't like the extra resonance then you are trying to go back to stock or a more muffling-muffler, which is why you're asking for advice.

Of course you can now say my post was pointless by adding further information... good one. How was I to know you'd already tried all the wreckers and there's absolutely not a single turbo territory exhaust in all of the wreckers across the country or any of the exhaust shops across your local area... 🙄

Venom as a company are probably suffering from covid-related delays like most businesses who import stuff from China or they never bothered to have a middle-muffler as a separate product as most people get an aftermarket dump+cat specifically for performance reasons and this is their XR6T related bread and butter product.

If you're having so much trouble getting a stock exhaust replacement, just get a reasonably quiet muffler installed that fits in that position of which almost any generic muffler manufacturer can supply.

• Like 1

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

Lift your game Keef.

Yeah, just go to an exhaust shop and ask for a straight through muffler that fits and will be reasonably quiet. Probably better than a half rusted stock one from 2006 anyway.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, k31th said:

Plenty of us on this forum know about replacing the middle muffler... not sure why you'd say no Ford owners would know about it???

I did not. Reread my post

Nobody bothers replacing the mid muffler with anything other than either a straight pipe or a hotdog muffler as people want the extra resonance that this cheap and easy modification entails... since you've discovered you don't like the extra resonance then you are trying to go back to stock or a more muffling-muffler, which is why you're asking for advice.

If no one wanted a mid muffler a company would not be investing time and money to create one.  Wreckers would be over stocked with mufflers and I would have no need to post here.

Of course you can now say my post was pointless by adding further information... good one. How was I to know you'd already tried all the wreckers and there's absolutely not a single turbo territory exhaust in all of the wreckers across the country or any of the exhaust shops across your local area... 🙄

Your original post was pointless regardless off adding further information. 

Venom as a company are probably suffering from covid-related delays like most businesses who import stuff from China or they never bothered to have a middle-muffler as a separate product as most people get an aftermarket dump+cat specifically for performance reasons and this is their XR6T related bread and butter product.

I assume that due to turbo territories age that Venom has seen an opening for supplying a direct fit mid mufflers. 

If you're having so much trouble getting a stock exhaust replacement, just get a reasonably quiet muffler installed that fits in that position of which almost any generic muffler manufacturer can supply.

As I stated in my post. I was looking at other options besides what you mention here. Generic muffler would be my last resort.

I thought I spoke to people in the know and they were unable to suggest a muffler for my territory. The closest I got was too get one built or modded.

This is why I decided to post here to help me make a better informed decision and hope it helps others in my position.

Edited by DavidF

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
5 minutes ago, DavidF said:

I did not. Reread my post

Ahh, I see, you said "most" not "all". My apologies.

Your original post was pointless regardless off adding further information. 

Not sure how you can see it that way; let's agree to disagree.

If no one wanted a mid muffler a company would not be investing time and money to create one.  Wreckers would be over stocked with mufflers and I would have no need to post here.

I thought I spoke to people in the know and they were unable to suggest a muffler for my territory. The closest I got was too get one built or modded.

Nobody wants a quiet aftermarket middle muffler, as the stock one is good enough for this specific job. A standard generic hotdog muffler is the go if you want a louder middle muffler as the rear muffler still does plenty of sound muffling; that's why you're stuck between trying to get a stock one that's quiet (obviously is difficult in your circumstances) or go to an aftermarket one that doesn't exist as a "product off the shelf" for these cars (which is going to be generic, basically).

3 hours ago, El Andrew said:

Lift your game Keef.

Yeah, just go to an exhaust shop and ask for a straight through muffler that fits and will be reasonably quiet. Probably better than a half rusted stock one from 2006 anyway.

I did not consider that the stock option could be half rusted. 

I expected it to be that easy to get a muffler for the car. I am stumped as to why it is not that easy.

2 minutes ago, k31th said:

Nobody wants a quiet aftermarket middle muffler, as the stock one is good enough for this specific job. A standard generic hotdog muffler is the go if you want a louder middle muffler as the rear muffler still does plenty of sound muffling; that's why you're stuck between trying to get a stock one that's quiet (obviously is difficult in your circumstances) or go to an aftermarket one that doesn't exist as a "product off the shelf" for these cars (which is going to be generic, basically).

What I find hard to comprehend is that alot of Fords have there mid muffler deleted and they are happy with the way is sounds. There is no doubt that my car sounds bloody sweet but I would expect mine to not be as loud as it has a hotdog compared to others that have a only a straight pipe. As the car would be our main family car this is the main reason quiet it down.

Seems like I will have to take a chance with generic muffler as there is no direct replacement for the factory mid muffler.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

Now you're saying "a lot of Fords" ... which is it? haha

anyway; some people love the extra sound and enjoy it immensely... others know they may not like it and keep their stock exhaust just in case they want to reverse it. Unfortunately you fit into neither camp.