Diff backlash with Truetrac

Romulus

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 2m 24d

Anyone with a truetrac fitted to their M86 diff experiencing excessive backlash? I've measured approximately 10 deg of backlash in the driveshafts left to right on both sides. Its not the CW&P back lash, that's been measured and in spec. Another observation is the driveshafts move up and down around 2-3mm when installed. I'm wondering if the truetrac is shagged. Hit and miss with these units, they're great for dealing with power but NVH is questionable IMO.

• 1 month later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 4m 13d

Yeah I can't confirm 100% as I had a IMS twin bush hat fitted at the same time which definately makes the rear end more solid so it's hard to eliminate as the wavetrac & dss cv's went in at the same time

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 4m 13d

Yeah ive learned to live with it I guess on the street as I do abit of happy laps roll racing style events where the full wot power down is awesome & tracks nice & straight plus the odd launch from the lights in Mexico

• Member For: 14y 5m 9d

I've just gone from the CAT600 bushes to the IMS diff hat and still don't hear the Wavetrac at all. The whole diff is actually quieter with the IMS compared to the CAT bushes. I don't have the cv's though.

Check what type of oil they put in your diff also as the Wavetracs and Truetracs don't like slippery LSD type friction modifiers. I've got Penrite 80/90 mineral oil in mine and just change it more often.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

of course the IMS is quieter than CAT bushes, as the CAT bushes are basically the noisiest mofos you can fit into that position ahha

• Like 1

• Member For: 14y 5m 9d

Nothing wrong with that, that's what I used to use for years but it wasn't the full synthetic. I used the mineral. I bought my Wavetrac from Ray as well and at the time (about 2015) he recommended a Penrite Limslip 140 LSD oil but when I did a bit of research, it had the friction modifiers in it so I decided to go with the Nulon 80w 140 based on what I had read on the American Wavetrac site.

I emailed the Australian Wavetrac distributor recently about what the best oil to use would be when I got the IMS kit installed and I just got a short reply with a link to the American website that I had looked at in 2015 when I bought the Wavetrac. All the oils they recommend are a bit hard to find at most local Australian parts stores.

Anyway, the performance/ tuning shop who installed the IMS kit for me said mineral oil was still the way to go and they do a lot of diff work so I went with their Penrite 80/90 recommendation.

• Like 1