canedkydd

valve springs how many hours to do ?

just been quoted 8 hours labour to change the valve springs in my BA XR6T  is this about normal ?  seems really excessive to me

it's a time consuming process to get it done... if they're not experienced in doing them a lot, it'll take most of a day to a full work day.

$500-$600 at a decent shop just for labour and that's expensive I reckon but it is what it is. 

yeah quoted $800  it is where I am getting a tune done and they know what they are doing. positive I can do it myself in a day as I am pretty experienced with working on cars  so thinking will do it myself

That is high.

Even if that includes the springs, that's not a bargain.

I had mine done for ~$660 incl springs.

yeah I thought it was high. dont incl springs so I am looking at $1400 all up.  sh*t I only paid 3k for the car

oh, I thought you meant $800NZ installed haha, $1400 is way too high unless those springs are made of titatium and the labour rate is $150/hr haha

yeah including springs would be a decent price @ $800 so yep doing them myself

If you diy you'll have to factor in the valve spring removal tool and a way to get air into the cylinder too. 

Mace hire the tool out for $50 if you buy springs from them and do a decent price on Crow springs as for air into the cylinder not a problem there as I have a compressor and can use a leak down tester. I have ordered springs from Mace.  they charge $300 deposit on the tool and refund once you return it. Will post how I got on and how long it took me to do it.  Pulling all the necessary parts off now ready to do the job when the springs arrive.