I Stuffed Up...

Scaly_Arab

• Member For: 4y 4m

Wasn't paying attention and hooked up my battery the wrong way around yesterday.

Blew the 200amp main circuit breaker along with a smaller fuse. Can't get the new part shipped until Monday.

Has anyone done this before or heard of same? Just trying to ascertain if it's likely to have blown the alternator and/or ECU before the circuit breaker did it's job. Won't be able to test this stuff until the new part arrives and I can install it.images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnyMb39FoKekTmCyfswb4

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 8d

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

Pretty sure that main fuse will protect all the main bits, like the alternator and PCM (the name for the ECU in our cars)

I've never heard of anybody blowing that fuse, though, so you're a bit on your own unless you can find something on a forum.

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 23d

should'nt hurt anything (but had 2 cars come in with O2 sensor problems after this) unfortunatly not a uncommon problem with people not being carefull- most likely got the craps from a flat battery. most were cabs with indian drivers

• Thanks 1

• Member For: 4y 4m

Thanks for your reply.

Managed to get a hold of another main circuit breaker and installed that yesterday morning. Started up no worries. Whacked the scan tool on and it's not throwing any fault codes as yet, but will recheck this coming weekend.

Also tested if the alternator was functioning properly with a multimeter. With all accessories on the reading was 13.9v, so I think I was a bit fortunate. Lesson learnt though haha. Still can't believe I hooked up the battery the wrong way.

• Like 1