Green top LPG motors

Johnny D

• Member For: 3y 3m 7d

Hey guys I’m sorta new to the Barra scene and I have bought a mk2 BA xr6 with a BF green top (gas) motor converted to straight petrol and was wondering if anyone on here has turboed one. The bloke I bought it off had blown the original motor up which was just a standard BA xr6 motor with a turbo bolted on it tuned to 270kw.

I did a bit of research bout the BF-FG gas motors and a few sites had told me they had a 10.3:1 compression ratio and had very similar conrods to the Bf-FG turbo motors but have a press fit gudgen and the BF-FG turbo motors has a 8.7:1 compression ratio and have a full floating gudgen. I have been told you can get 450-500kw safe tune on a gas motor if you do head studs, value springs and exhaust but I thought I would do a bit more research and ask a forums page cause all you guys are here to help before I go spending money on more parts trying to get it to my 350-400kw goal.

I was going to get value springs, plazmaman head gasket and head studs, 800hp plazmaman intercooler and piping, crow 639 or 640 cam, haltech ecu (if needed), 4” dump pipe with stainless 3.5” x force exhaust plazmaman, single feed fuel rail (not sure if I should go 6AN or 8AN with the fitting size) with ID1000cc injectors and try out a aeroflow 6662 1.06 T3 turbo with a screamer pipe later on down the track. And also wanted to know if you have to change the wiring loom when to go from a T5 gearbox to a T56. If yous could help me out I would really appreciate it. Cheers guys!

Edited by Johnny D

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 8m 27d

Hey man, I'm not qualified to provide an answer to your questions, but allow me to say congrats on a well structured post, with clear use of the English language. Its unusual amongst new forum members!

For what its worth, it sounds like you're on the right track :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 10m 19d

you can turbo any of the Barra series, it all comes down to tuning.

valve springs are a minimum on a na motor going turbo, as even in the turbo motor the valve springs are weak when pushing more than standard boost.

If you going to pull the head to do the gasket and such, change out the valves. the gas motor may have the high temp valves, but you can allways upgrade these.

Cams wont be required for that power level.

ECU change wont be required, stock ecu can be tuned verry well. You might want a turbo ECU so you can use the std boost control features.

STD fuel rail and std fuel lines are fine, std fuel lines 8mm so an6 or equlivant. 

STD fuel pressure reg wont Handel the fuel pump you will need to install to get that power. GFB make a drop in replacement - put it on the list.

plan for external gate, or ported rear housing sooner in the build, barras dont like std IWG turbos when going higher boost. they need to move alot of air for accurate boost control.

if car was factory turbo t5 you wont need to change the loom, as they get speed from abs

if the car was NA with a t5, it gets speed from the t5 gearbox so you need to talk to someone about changing speed source (or do during tune). I had shiftkits aus knock me up a converter box to use a single ABS sensor to output speed reference tot he NA type ecu. if you car has ABS you can just switch over to speed over can/abs module.

t5 loom wont have prevision for the t56 reverse lockout, I just made a push button on the dash for this. if you want factory option you will need the wiring loom to match gearbox and prob even the pcm. unsure, I didn't bother.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • Member For: 2y 7m 13d

I have just purchased a 2004 Greentop lpg motor and its going to be converted into ulp, I cant find many guides convertion wise, is anyone here able to help and tell me what parts ill need to swapout and purchase and will I need a wiring harness off a ulp motor? for injector rail? thanks