bf trans flare 290kw 603nm torque ba xr6

pdidily6401

• Member For: 5y 9m 11d

Got a problem with this trans, flaring in the change 2nd to third and almost always at wot it will flare when changing into fourth. Is a BA XR6T,  290kw on dyno, , had a spare trans that was ok, swapped out the trans and same problem still there.. did all the usuals, checked trans fluid when running and up to temp, has a trans cooler fitted but dont think this could be the issue, what am I missing, is it to do with torque convertor? did not swap this out when I changed the trans over, or could it be my torque tables in the hp tune? or solioids, resonably handy with a spanner,  just dont know where to start on this, have trolled through the posts but can not put my finger on a definitive path to take here.  Am in Greymouth, no tuners, no good trans mechs, can I buy the hp tune gear and do this myself if it is in the torque tables and is a simple disconnect.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 10d

it's not going be simple... they're ZF 6HP26's in a BA? that's unusual by it's self..

290kW on a dyno should not make ZF's start flaring unless it has had a hard life previously with more power or fluid issues itself.

No other symptoms than changing to WOT on the 3-4 shift?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 16d

I'll go under the assumption that he still means the 4 speed BTR so don't flame me if it isn't (zero info means guessing). Shifts need to break your spine so that there is no slippage on the shift (aka chirpies). You are better off reading through the HPT forum (Aussie section) for info on how to do it as a BTR will easily live at that power level and don't ever full throttle change into 4th unless you want to purposely kill it. 

• 2 months later...

sorry guys been away for a bit, and yes is the btr trans, I just dont get it, took it to ford who said it might be my torque convertor, they ran it though their system and could give me no reason why two different transes would have the same symptoms other than that. so have had it parked up as got hit with heaps of mod cert issues from vtnz, evidently bigger intercooler, fuel reg, wastegate actuator change all now need a low volume vehicle mod cert, and to boot went to start it the other day and the entire icc is dead, nothing, no cluster, no start, no boot pop , no unlock doors other than drivers with a key, can still unlock from the inside, have bought a bf cluster and removed the ba one, thinking I swap over the module and whack it back in and hope for the best, can I do this or am I throwing my money away, can I swap out the bem and put in to the bf unit?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 10d

you need to retain the same BEM for the car... if you swap the BEM from another vehicle it'll have to be coded by ford or somebody with similar expertise in coding these items together.

• 9 months later...

ok been a while but here is where I am at.

Had my trans rebuilt, had a few mods done to the intercooler setup as we found a couple of choke points so the new garret gt3582 now breathes really well, so we fit the new trans, we take the car for a run and it runs great, snappy shifts, changes through all gears great tyres chirping as it changes into third, turned around took back to shed, let it cool down, went for another drive next morning, car goes strait into limp mode, stuck in third, did a search here to see what I could have done wrong, replaced battery with new 600cca, replaced both terminals on battery and earth terminal, checked engine strap earth, checked trans terminals and ecu connectors, all seems fine, I just dont get what we have done wrong, I expect now we have a bit more torque but boost gauge still only showing 15lbs max and now I just have to idle up the street and after about 20 seconds car goes straight to limp mode. Has sat for about 6 months and am close to the coast, could my trans module in my ecu be fried? not sure what else to do.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 21d

sh*tty and or loose connectors are the culprit in many trans, pcm, tps etc faults. You can get faults galore and then tighten one connector and it all goes away.