The Daily's Quest for 310KW!

biddie_fiddler

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 25d
8 minutes ago, biddie_fiddler said:

Has anyone here ever helicoil'd an exhaust stud hole with the head still in the car?

Farken plenty. You can do it...cut his farken head off!!!!

• Haha 1

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 26d

Question about helicoils, how "reusable" are the threads? 

Like if I was to use the factory bolts for now, if I remove the bolts in the future to add studs the threads would still be as good as if they were factory tapped?

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Helicoils are sharper and harder compared to other threads, so can bind up and fark sh*t up pretty easily if a sh*tty bolt or stud is inserted or indeed a good one cross-threaded. Make sure the bolt or stud threads are in good condition before winding it in. You will strip a bolt fairly easily with a helicoil, where you would usually strip the head otherwise. I'd rather insert a stud into a helicoiled head and then wind the tension on with a nut as it disturbs the helicoil less, but have also used a bolt more than once in the same repaired hole.

To answer the question though, they are reusable many times over and providing you don't fark them up, they will be just as good the next time you use it.

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

You've genuinely given me a sense of relief with this fkn car 🤣

Borderline ready to just fk it off into the corner and leave it there for many, many months.

I think this whole replacement turbo situation has rubbed me the wrong way, its so frustrating. And then this discovery didn't help!

Cool thing though, SCA has a sale on a helicoil kit. $50 for a 131 piece set. Not bad!

I might just order that set of studs from empire elite then. If all goes well with the helicoils I can take the time to properly install the studs. Final result will be much better than the standard bolts.

Thanks again champion! :audience:

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

No worries, things aren't always as hard as they seem initially and it is stressful when things break and aren't sure about fixing them. Honestly in the right hands it's just a days work to get it fully sorted and of course you can do it yourself, albeit slower and learning along the way.

I've got the same thread repair kit and have done several exhaust threads as well as the upper horizontal timing chain guide holes for the front of the cam caps.

Also if your drill is too big to get between the head and the shock tower, get a 90 degree adapter or cut down the drill bit shank slightly and you'll be sorted.

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

Funny enough, on my first car (na imprezza, sadly did not do sick skids) we found a stripped bolt that held the power steering pump.... or maybe the alternator... I can't remember. Important thing was that it was in a space where a drill could not get to. Dad and I managed to helicoil that.... Well he did I watched lol.
He used an air powered drill that was at a right angle he got from work. Worked really well! loud as hell though.

Might be able to use that if a drill doesn't reach. Its only in ali so it won't be hard at all to actually drill. I just want to try get it as straight a possible.

• Like 1

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

Wee update on the rig. Got the dump off the rear of the turbo after work yesterday. Damn bolts were tight asf.

Started removing some manifold bolts and then started removing the coolant feed line to the turbo... before I realised coolant will probably go EVERYWHERE when I do this... So, need to get some jack stands and a trolley jack to get a bucket under the rig and catch the coolant, I'm guessing its probably a good idea to just drain the coolant? Or will it eventually stop pouring out everywhere?

that's the only thing stopping me from removing the manifold now, once I can get something to catch the coolant and oil (probably) then its all easy sailing from there I reckon. 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

You undo the oil drain to the block?

Just chuck something under it to catch the coolant. You won't lose much, may 8 to 10 litres. Just wrap a rag around the oil feed and that will take care of any drips. It'll leak fark all oil from the feed anyway.