The Daily's Quest for 310KW!

biddie_fiddler

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 27d

Are they the ones With the hex head insert to make sure you seat them out before anything else ? 

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y

If I understand correctly hahah

Yea, these are. They are the PRP titanium studs

They have the hex head to allow you to screw them in to the head first :)

I did do this too! I think I'm just being an idiot when it comes to knowing how tight I'm making something.

I'm glad that both are not one of the helicoiled holes, getting my old man over and we'll fix it good as new! 

I'm going to be more careful this time with them.

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

Yooooo those are awesome!!!!! 🤯

Defs gonna have to remember these exist! 

Thing is I have access to a helicoil kit now, so its a guaranteed solution between now and the 18th. I've done it before, I know what I'm in for.

that's a bloody awesome product by the looks of it though :) 

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

Bit of late night update. Had a massive fight with the dump pipe bolts. Couple grazed knuckles, bruises and swear words later they all came off! Once they were all off, the rest of the stuff was pretty straightforward. I'm gonna replace the dump pipe bolts this time round, they've seen better days. Just need to work out the sizes which I can do by bringing one with me.

I'm assuming just off the shelf high tensile units for the likes of SCA and what not will do? What about the Bunnings high tensile stuff? Or should I look elsewhere?

HJbc9WL.jpg

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

Yea figured as much. Usually get high tensile bolts from Supercheap :)

Anyone have an online store they recommend for buying high quality bolts and stuff? 

I can get high tensile bolts from SCA, but I'm not sure if they're the best option. I can put the car together when I'm back from SA if it means I can get high quality bolts :)

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 8d

Newcastle hi tensile bolt Co is the bolt industry standard.

Grade 8.8 is what your chasing. Usually sca has these with a zinc coating. (Stamped on the head) Zinc isn't great with temperature, but is ok. Ideally black will suffice, and goes better with antiseize.

You can get grade 10.9 which is stronger again, or 12.9 socket head cap screws.

First number is the ultimate strength, and the second number is the % of ultimate indicating the yield strength.

E.g. a grade 12.9 screw has a ultimate strength of 1200mpa and a yield of 1200x0.9 = 1080mpa yield strength.

Most bunnings stuff like there galvanised threaded rod is grade 4.6 which is like butter. Basically a mild steel equivalent.

Don't get stainless as they weak as sh*t.

Imperial bolts use a similar stamping on the head as well. 4, 8 and 10 I think.

• Thanks 1

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

Wow thanks @gaz097for the detailed response 😄 

I ended up going with champion brand high tensile stuff from SCA. They are grade 8.8. I need a car on Monday so I need to get it running this weekend so my original intent to source some high quality stuff online isn't an option any more. 

the ones I got are zinc coated, hope they'll be okay for the time being. I can always replace them in the future. Not the hardest job in the world to do :)