The Daily's Quest for 310KW!

biddie_fiddler

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 11m 28d

Wow its been a hot minute!

I don't wanna jinx it, but I think the tune is almost around the corner! I've been patiently waiting over 8 months to hear back from the warranty company, someone over there is about to get a very unhappy complaint along with ACCC action - beyond a joke waiting 8 months and hearing nothing back from them.

Anyway, not the point of this update, I'm actually here to ask some questions:

What is the limitation of a stock exhaust + 4" dump combo?

How much power can you comfortably get out of a 255lph in-tank pump?

My fuel tank is really, really empty and it has me thinking about my next upgrade. Do I keep the exhaust setup I have and upgrade the fuel system (will be doing kpm drop-in module), or keep the 255 fuel pump and upgrade the exhaust.

The exhaust option will be the ultrex 4", seeing as I already have their 4" dump. It will cost $990 to complete the exhaust, 4" all the way.

The KPM 1000hp in tank setup is just shy of $2k delivered. 

I will get both in the future, but for now I need to decide which one is the better purchase for the retune. Cheers for the help all :) 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

You haven't told us how much power you're aiming for but if I had to upgrade one before the other it would always be the fuel system.

34 minutes ago, biddie_fiddler said:

What is the limitation of a stock exhaust + 4" dump combo?

It is more important to have a properly sized exhaust system rather than pushing a stock one to it's limit. Doing that will create a lot of back pressure which is not a good thing. You could push one over 400kw if you wanted to.

36 minutes ago, biddie_fiddler said:

How much power can you comfortably get out of a 255lph in-tank pump?

The KPM 1000hp in tank setup is just shy of $2k delivered. 

Not enough. Have a think about doing the pump or pumps yourself, it's not that hard to do and you will save a sh*tload of money. It cost me about $600 for 2x 525 pumps and all the wiring and relays I needed to run them. I made them fit into the stock swirl pot, albeit highly modified. Of course there is more to running large pumps than just the pumps themselves, you need enough fuel reg and return line to bypass the fuel at idle.

Even a single 460 with a wiring kit and a drop in Turbosmart reg kit or an fpr800 with adapter etc will go a long way at this point, while keeping the budget under control.

• Like 1

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

Cheers puff, yea look I realise I didn't really give much context.

TL;DR

So, recap, 400kw out of a factory exhaust system ( plus 4" dump and 5" cat), 255lph in tank pump. Possible or not possible?

As the story has unfolded thus far on this thread, I have installed a pulsar (gen 2 I believe) 3582 + 45mm wg.

I'd really like to get into the 400kw club tbh, but at this point I'd just be happy to have a running car again.

Yea I hear you wrt 525 pumps in a factory in-tank setup, I have seen this done in the past, and there is even an ebay seller that does this. I believe the 1000hp kit that kpm provides is probably the best bang for buck, reliable option you can get. 

For under $2k you get:

• Anti-surge in-tank module(their own design)
  • 2x 300lph fuel pumps
  • upgraded fpr
  • complete wiring harness
  • e85 ready too :) 

This is what makes it so appealing to me. Its a lot less work to install compared to external anti surge systems and is cheaper. There is enough people out there running this setup with awesome feedback that makes me feel comfortable getting it.

If I get this too, I will also install a hobbs switch to stage the second pump so it negates the idling issue - however I don't think this would be a problem with the 2x 300lph pumps. I think (pure speculation) that the factory should be okay to handle this.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
21 minutes ago, biddie_fiddler said:

400kw out of a factory exhaust system ( plus 4" dump and 5" cat), 255lph in tank pump. Possible or not possible?

No the pump won't do it. I wouldn't recommend doing it on a stock exhaust either but of course you can if your tuner is comfortable doing that.

You'll be paying twice for tuning if you do the exhaust and fuel system at different times, so might be worth waiting until they're both done.

• Like 1

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

Yea we'll just have to see how the claim goes. 

My hopes is that I fork out 2k for the fuel system and the warranty money covers the rest. Wringing every last cent from the fkers after they've made me wait this long. fk em

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Yeah that's a pita. Well it'll be sorted out one day or other then you won't have to think about it anymore.

Even if you get the fuel system done first then tuned, at least it'll be back on the road and safe to drive around.

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

A walbro 255 Hi psi pump can flow enough fuel to supply 410-430rwkw on 98 fuel with 18-19psi of boost on 0.8 Lambda and still have return flow in the line to the tank with the factory wiring & reg in place 

A factory FG cat back starts to heavily increase back pressure after 16.5psi of boost which typically relates too 350-370rwkw 

Do the exhaust….