The Daily's Quest for 310KW!

biddie_fiddler

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 18d

Righto, put the fitting on, I'm pretty certain it seals using the tapered part of the inside of the fitting. It lines up with a taper inside the turbo.

In any case. Drive belt back on, fans back on. Turbo coolant line back on with the new hex head bolts for the front of the timing cover, now the coolant bracket is nice and snug again. 

Small issue, ic pipe that goes from the turbo is colliding with the coolant overflow tank now for some reason. Bit of a problem. Gonna have to take off the bumper to try suss out that side of the piping again. 

Oh well, today is not the day to start it but that's aight. Upwards and onwards!

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 6d

Yeah forgot to mention I did use some sealing goop that I can't remember the name of just at the moment 

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

Yea I used a thread sealant on it too :) 

Loctite thread sealant, I forget what the number is. Basically just liquid thread tape... Not sure how it'll hold up with the high temps of a turbo chra but we'll see.

Might swap it out for a high temp silicone gasket sealant? Time will tell.

In other news, had a fk it moment and worked on the ic piping late last night. Off came the bumper and I began working the piping on the left side (hot side).

Annoyingly, not really much I could do. But with my fiddling around I managed to get a small gap between the pipe and the coolant overflow tank.

Might file down the mount holes of the overflow tank to give myself some wiggle room to move the tank away from the pipe a bit.

13 hours ago, Puffwagon said:

Must be nearly time for a skid hey?

Just about 😈

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

As I mentioned earlier yesterday, I tackled a rust spot under the brake booster that has been plaguing me since the day I bought it.

Not thinking it was so bad, I hit it with some rust converter I got from Bunnings. As soon as I wiped it on with a cloth, some paint just flaked off and underneath... More rust.

A bit concerned now I hit the area with a small wire brush and paint just continued to flake off leaving rust in its place. I continued brushing the area until paint stopped flaking off, scary how much the rust had spread in the area! Once I was satisfied that I had removed all the paint from the rust affected metal, I hit the area again with the rust converter. Here are some pics of the process. The first image was taken after the first wipe down of rust converter - I forgot to take a photo before any rust converter had hit the surface 🙃

The other pic is the area cleaned from rust converter and prepped with lots of IPA to get it ready for primer.

9PCrxw3.jpg 

vazSG02.jpg

I then got to work masking as much of the surround area as I could. Did as good as I could given the tight spaces I was working with. Had a leftover plastic sheet thing from painting a TV cabinet with the Mrs recently so I used that to cover the whole front as well as a few areas in the engine bay. Once I was satisfied with the masking I hit it with 2 coats of primer. Let that dry, then sprayed a colour matched 2k base on top. Not sure why I got 2k base, the finish ended up being so much more gloss than the factory blue.... Makes me think the factory base is not 2k... Either way, the end result is good enough for me. Not show car spec but definitely better than the rust that was there before. Its in an area that is also hard to see so I'm not too concerned with the slight colour difference. 

AEi9XFZ.jpgvzeW1w8.jpg

• Like 2

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 26d

Ford engine bays are often a different colour or at least they do a different cost cutting process.

Looks like a classic spill brake fluid and not wash it down.

Rust will come back in that seam.

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
4 minutes ago, gaz097 said:

Looks like a classic spill brake fluid and not wash it down.

Brake fluid had already eaten through the paint when I bought it. Was something I didn't notice at the time when I bought the car 😞 

4 minutes ago, gaz097 said:

Rust will come back in that seam.

Oh well, least I fixed some of it 😂
I got the wire brush onto the seam but nothing came from it. I'll keep an eye on the area from time to time :) 

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 25d
they do a different cost cutting process.
LOL I got a quote yesterday due to clear coat peeling on the spoiler. The paint gets looked after pretty well - washed, periodic wax. Body shop said there is just literally F-all clear coat on it in the first place
  • Haha 1