The Daily's Quest for 310KW!

biddie_fiddler

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 27d

I know how I've stripped it, put stress on the bolt with the turbo water feed line (uses that bolt as support). Should have done up the line to the timing cover first then tightened it on the turbo. 

In any case, I'm gonna source some longer hex bolts like you've mentioned. I think a 130mm would work for the right one, and a 140mm for the left.

I measured the factory ones length to be 120mm, so long as its longer than that I should be sweet 😋

Thanks for your input @Rob70!! Legend :) 

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

Found a website that sells nuts and bolts for cheap! 

https://www.boltandnut.com.au/

Name kinda gives it away lol. In any case, they sell hex bolts that will work for the application. Ideally be better to use a flanged head bolt but I can't find any in the size I'm after.

At least I've got an option for a solution. Will see if I can source local though so I don't have to wait for shipping.

Added to a cart 2 M8 washers, M8x1.25p 120, 130, and 140mm bolts so I can test out the sizes for the top right bolt. I'm highly confident the 140mm will work for the top left bolt (the stripped one) because that thread is blind (goes all the way through). 

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

Got a question about oil restrictor fittings for the new turbo.

Pulsar gtx3582, comes with an oil restrictor AN fitting. My brothers also came with one (pulsar 3584), but I have his fitting as it was not installed - I.e on his car he has the AN fitting installed that came with the oil feed filter, it has no restrictor.

This is what is currently on my turbo, too. I'm a bit confused, with my limited turbo knowledge, I was under the impression that ball bearing turbos require these oil restrictors... So why is it not fitted on my brothers pulsar 3584? Does it really matter?

Should I fit it to my rig or just use the standard fitting that came with the oil feed filter?? 🤔

Looking for advice from peeps that have used these turbos. Must be a reason it isn't fitted on my brothers car. 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 26d
5 hours ago, biddie_fiddler said:

why is it not fitted on my brothers pulsar 3584?

5 hours ago, biddie_fiddler said:

My brothers also came with one (pulsar 3584), but I have his fitting as it was not installed

You answered your own question there mate. It wasn't installed. Maybe the restrictor is the same size as the (probably) -4 fitting to his turba?

Ball bearing turbas don't need much oil to run properly. Get in here for some info and while you're there read a whole bunch of other stuff. The more you read, the more you know and that's always a good thing.

I read somewhere that too much oil can increase drag in the bearing which makes a turba slow like donkey.

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

Yea this site reinforces my original understanding... The fitting that comes with the oil feed is the same as the fitting that comes with the turbo. -4an.

Only difference is that the one from the turbo, as the site suggests, has a very small orifice to restrict oil whereas the one that comes with the oil feed has an unrestricted orifice.

Maybe an oversight during the isntal of his turbo?

The fitting came with the turbo - so is intended to be used.... I'ma go with the one that came with the turbo 😋

• Like 1

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

Drive belt and new overflow tank arrived so I can put it all together and top up some fluids. Other than that, the car is all back together!!

I think today may be the day I can finally start my car....... I'm excited but sh*tting myself at the same time.

Won't have a boost line connected to the wg but that isn't gonna stop me starting the car 😋

Will post some pics soon too. 

On a side note, fixed some rust from a leaking brake booster/master cylinder from when I bought the car. Got 2k base instead of 1k so the colour is way more gloss than matte like the factory engine bay. But heck, much rather have that than the large amount of rust that was there previously

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 15d

This may or may not be useful but just regarding the fitting that came with your turbo mate, when I got my Aeroflow 6662 turbo, (which are reportedly made by pulsar? Not sure on that though)

It came with a fitting that also had a warning in the box saying "YOU MUST USE SUPPLIED FITTING OR ELSE BAD SH!T WILL HAPPEN!"

So I used it, and thought I had it seated and done up tight enough, but it leaked oil when I started it, turns out it was nowhere near in far enough, I took it out, measured the depth down to seat on turbo then measured and marked fitting up to where it should be and reinstalled, it was uncomfortably tight but got it in and hasn't leaked since. 

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

Ah yes!! I was supposed to update this thread on that situation!

I went to fit the supplied fitting (the one with the tiny hole) and noticed the inside of the fitting has some metal swarf in it.... Clearly some bad QC on them because that crap would have gone straight through the turbo!!!!!!!!

The threads themselves aren't the best either, been knocked around a few times by the looks of it.

Anyway that isn't what I wanted to update the thread about. When I went to install the fitting, it screwed in smooth but suddenly felt like it was bottoming out! With my bad history of stripping threads I didn't want to put a wrench on it in case I damage something. It didn't feel right at all.

@Rob70 you mentioned this, and it is what sounds like I had.... Maybe I do need to tighten it down with a socket or something, but its just odd to me that it feels that way when its not even nearly screwed in all the way. Sounds almost like a tapered fitting kinda situation but its definitely not one.

6 minutes ago, Rob70 said:

it was uncomfortably tight but got it in and hasn't leaked since

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 15d

It might pay to take it out, do the measure and then you at least know how far it had to screw in, it will leak forsure if not seated.

It was a little nerve wracking as I didn't want to strip the thread on my brand new turbo, @JETURBO had same issue with one he installed, his good advice to the rescue yet again!