The Daily's Quest for 310KW!

biddie_fiddler

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 18d
2 hours ago, biddie_fiddler said:

We had a set ready to go but they weren't very long

They look short when not installed but they open up to fit the new thread.

Don't worry about the block looking orange, doesn't matter. Clean it off and spray it black if you want.

2 hours ago, biddie_fiddler said:

One issue I have come across is that I can't fit the manifold back on without removing the power steering pump because there isn't enough clearance

I leave a few studs out and use bolts there. It's a giant pita if you have to remove the manifold more than once.

Also don't use studs in the turbine housing to dump. I've seen custom exhausts made with dump studs installed and you literally can't remove the dump without removing the turbo.

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 18d

Cheers guys :)

I think I'm just anal about the rust look lol And thanks for the advice puff, but I think I'll stick with all studs. I like the look of it, and I don't expect to remove the manifold after this any time soon so I'm willing to go through the pita stuff if I need to later on. 

As for the dump, no way I'm going to studs, factory bolts I remove are perfectly fine for now :)

Seems like my way forward from here is to going to be purchasing a pulsar 3582 supercore instead of the chra. It's $200 more and looks wayyyyy tougher. All about the looks ;)

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

So the last two major parts on the list to get is head studs and a turbo.

I have posted in a perth based FB group asking if anyone has had any experience or can provide a review on the Dominator Motorsports head studs.

Here is my reasoning behind the kit.

1. They are around $200 cheaper than ARPs
  2. I'm not going to be pushing super high boost
  3. They will just be a piece of mind upgrade over stock studs

I got the classic response "poor man pays twice" on this question which is not very helpful. While it is true in some cases, I also do not like wasting money on things I do not need.

So, if the DM set is just as good as the ARP set, then I'm already doing better than the stock studs. That savings in money can go towards the turbo.

However, if there is nothing good to say about the DM set, the obviously I wouldn't go with them.

So, I will ask on this forum instead, and maybe get a bit more clear answers on this topic.

Has anyone used or had experience with Dominator Motorsports 12mm head stud kit?

https://www.dominatormotorsports.com.au/product/dominator-ford-barra-12mm-head-stud-kit-220000psi/

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 6d

They're just fasteners. Go with them as long as they're confirmed to be rated to that specification and metallurgy. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

Finally got the rear housing off the 3582 my brother gifted me. The bolts were tack welded to stop them coming loose but that also made it harder to remove. I now need to get replacement bolts 🤣

Anyway, that's not the worst thing about this situation, 3 of the bolt holes on the rear housing are cracked right through! Was hoping to use this housing because it was already setup for a wastegate 😢

I have another rear housing that I cleaned up to basically look brand new, it has the flap already welded so all that needs to be done is for the elbow at the top to be welded on and the wg flange.

Just another thing I have to pay for that I didn't really wanna do lol. 

jeH8Qnl.jpg

• Shocked 1

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

Found an aussie seller for turbine bolts and clamps but I've never heard of them:
https://www.motorsportindustries.com.au/products/turbine-housing-clamp-and-bolt-kit

turbine_housing_clamp_and_bolt_kit_1024x

Anyone know of this company? The kit is $20, and the genuine stuff from ebay US is like $50... not including shipping.

Edited by biddie_fiddler