The Daily's Quest for 310KW!

biddie_fiddler

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 11m 28d

Manifold is off!!! Finally! Feels good to have accomplished this!

Gonna tape over the exhaust ports on the head. Next big task is actually installing the helicoils. that's gonna be fun 

Also dumped the oil, gonna let it drip for a few days, get that last wee bit out that I usually don't. Not that its gonna make much more of a difference but oh well 🤣

On the topic of oil, Jets recent post in his Jets Tuning thread got me thinking about oil choices. I usually use nulon full syn 10W-40, anyone have any other recommendations on oil choice?

Full-syn, semi-syn? Which one do you use and why? :) 

uDgVInB.jpg

Also noticed a bunch of bolts loose that hold the cartridge on to the exhaust housing of the turbo, something I never noticed before! Not that it really matters anyway seeing as the turbo is fried, but worth noting.

If you look carefully you can see where the housing hit the strut tower, taking some paint along for the ride 🤦‍♂️

bcYwwU0.jpg

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

You know what would fit in there nicely??? A g42 on top of a 6boost manifold with a 4 inch dump.

In other news, I use oil cos some oil is better than no oil. Full syn all the way for the hectic hp that I like to run ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

Car update time! Got 10L of oil, heaps of coolant, and studs have arrived. Got a whole bunch goodies from Goleby's too that I am waiting on.... including an external wastegate 😏😏

Decided screw it, 3582 is going on the car, not putting it back together with the cooked 3576 or wait any longer for the warranty sh*t.

Used the opportunity to use the camera too, haven't used it in a while! 

YCiFnmG.jpgtmkUAhN.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

Weekend has been pretty damn productive as far as the fixing goes!

Dad came round to help me drill and tap the holes in the head to get ready for the helicoils. We had a set ready to go but they weren't very long and would only take up just under half of the threads of the manifold stud.

Decided to just drill and tap the head and get some longer helicoils during the week to install. Longer helicoil means more meat for the stud to grab and that doesn't like a bad thing at all!! In total, 4 needed to be repaired, heres some pics of the final result on the holes. Nothing fancy.

Bcq3MOw.jpg

Went ahead and installed the studs in the other holes after cleaning them out. Amazing how much easier it was to install the studs when you have such good access to the holes lol

Got a load of swarf I'll need to clean up too and will hit some of the easy to reach areas with degreaser while I'm there.

One issue I have come across is that I can't fit the manifold back on without removing the power steering pump because there isn't enough clearance, something I knew was gonna happen after struggling to remove the manifold from the engine in the first place!

Got the belt off the front and noticed quite a few cracks in it so I'll be replacing that with a fresh one. Removing the power steering pump seems like an easy job so not too worried about that.

I'm thinking now though while I'm here and a lot of the coolant has already been drained I might replace the water pump too... Decisions decisions 😂

Drilling and tapping the head was the most scary and hardest task in the job so far, so I'm really glad it went so well! Now I just need to slowly start putting the rig back together and get it retuned with the bigger snail 🐌🐌

I'm hoping I can have the car done by mid-end of March. This gives me some time to save for the 3582 core I want. :) 

CxQHhdV.jpg

Also, whats everyones thoughts on this rusty block situation I have going on here? I feel like its worse than a typical motor 😂

• Like 2