The Daily's Quest for 310KW!

biddie_fiddler

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 11m 28d
16 hours ago, sixman said:

Nice looking cars!

Why would they have put ba rods in an fg2?

Pretty much what puff said. Our running theory is that someone cooked the motor of the car, did a home job to fix it with wrecker parts. Basically, slap it back together so that it runs as you'd expect then sell it to a dealer. How is the dealer to know the rods were replaced kinda thing.

So yea, brother took real good care of the car, and once he started doing fifo he saved up for Monsta Torques stage 2 package with a few extra bits and bobs, namely an f6 turbo (gt3582) and screamer.

Seeing as no one knew of the motors issue, Rob tuned it like he would any FG turbo (they came with stronger rods compared to BA). Car lasted about 3 weeks before he bent a rod.

Bit of sticky situation, like is it the dealers fault? How can you blame them for the car when its not something they check. We pondered going to dealer with this but it would have ended with more drama than it was worth.

But anyway, to lighten the mood. Done 780km of the 1500km rob has requested. I've taken possession of the car for the week to do more run-in stuff, A bit difficult to do what he is requesting in traffic for my brother when he drives to work. I can annoy the local industrial area with the screamer without any worry 🤣

• Like 1

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

ffs I told myself I'd be good during the black friday sales.....

Had head studs in the cart too.... But I should probably wait till I get a pay rise before I go spending any more money 🤣

xvxi2Ni.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

Didn't think this question was worth creating a new thread.

Did some snooping on the web and on the forums but haven't found what I'm looking for.

Turbo in my car is cactus, as mentioned before. I'm clearly not getting any warranty replacement on it seeing as its been months since I tried and have heard nothing back.

I'm gonna source a good condition factory replacement 3576 and replace it myself. Is it possible to replace it as a supercore? I.e. take the compressor and chra out of my car and put in a 2nd hand version without needing to take the turbo off the car? This would be the easiest way to replace the one that's on my car by far, so if its possible that would be awesome. Or do I need to remove the whole turbo from the car?

Cheers all :) 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

You need to take the turbo out. Yes, you can use a supercore to replace it, but it's not worth it unless you're upgrading, imho. You can easily just replace the whole turbo, of course... you can take the exhaust housing off and put it on a supercore if you want... but if you're going to that much trouble a CHRA is fine to replace it and leave the stock turbo as-is (cheapest but most labour)

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

It's too much of a pita to swap the supercore with the turbine housing attached to the manifold, removing the turbo is the way to go.

While I'm all for an upgrade in this scenario, it isn't always the best idea as you will need a tune for a different turbo to work properly.

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

I have an f6 turbo in a box ready to go. Complete with 45mm gate welded to the housing. Trouble is I can't afford the upgrades I need to support it atm.

Supporting mods I'm talking about that I'll need for the 3582:

45mm wastegate and screamer, springs (I have springs and retainers but don't have the tools to DIY), and a retune, and I'd like to do head studs at the same time.

For me the best option is to just buy a second hand fg turbo and replace the currently cooked one, I may have a stock replacement turbo lined up for cheap (my brothers old 3576 that a friend isn't using).

I've been driving around for longer than I'd like to admit with the turbo the way it is. I don't have another car so I don't really have a choice 🙃

Cheers for the help though, was hoping there was an easy shortcut to replacing the f*cked turbo but appears not lol.

So to take the turbo off, after some research, seems like the best method is to remove the manifold with the turbo then remove turbo from manifold when its all off the car. 

This sound about right?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

that can be easier if you don't have the appropriate tools to get in there and remove the turbo from the manifold :) I always do it that way just because it's more "simple" work but actually easier overall than trying to get tiny amounts of turns on those nuts holding the turbo to the manifold haha

• Thanks 1

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
43 minutes ago, k31th said:

tiny amounts of turns on those nuts holding the turbo to the manifold

I remember trying this once, a very long time ago. I failed miserably. It was very hard to get a spanner in there! 🤣

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

Nhegggg 

BA-BF super easy to remove the whole manifold to do the changeover on bench as the B series Turbo/manifold flange bolts are in a bit of a dick spot 

FG super bitch head to remove the manifold 3-4 cylinder lower 10mm hex head bolts as ford also used some killer thread locker on the bolts unlike B series loose bolts 

that said the FG turbo/manifold x4 14mm nuts are super easy to get to all x4 with just a simple ring/ratchet spanner 🔧 

All you need is a new GT35 gasket pack from MTQ / Inox / 14mm / 19mm socket / 17mm socket and ratchet / 7mm socket for water outlet clamps / 13mm socket for Dump pipe nuts 

Easy as brah ;) 

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

So, turbo is definitely f*cked now. Making noises even worse than before!

After months now of waiting for this warranty outcome I've decided to screw that plan. Started the process of removing the turbo yesterday afternoon and noticed my exhaust stud bolts were loose again!

I installed these studs very badly way over a year ago... Yesterday was the day I got to find out how badly. Super pissed off with myself about this, had I done it properly and not tried to rush it I wouldn't be in this mess! Couldn't have come at the worst time either!

I've taken 4 studs out so far, this being the worst of the 4... To say I've learnt my lesson on taking your time with car mods is an understatement.

uW6MYmM.jpg

I had plans next year (like mid next year) to pull the head off and do a bunch of stuff. I need more tools to do this though as all I have atm is that little toolbox thing you can see in the background. 

I definitely can't afford to take this to a shop to fix. I'd love to be able to remove the head and get the head fixed by a cylinder head shop, or better yet just replace it with a new one that doesn't have completely f*cked threads.

Car is gonna be in the garage for a while, will be borrowing my brothers sh*tbox (1990-something hrv that has been in a wee car kiss in a roundabout) until I can work out wtf I'm going to do with this car.

My idea atm, purely just to get the thing back on the road is to helicoil the holes and get another set of studs, maybe the empire elite set. I do still have all the factory bolts but I don't really wanna use them on holes with a helicoil. I'd rather loctite some studs in there and never look back.

Has anyone here ever helicoil'd an exhaust stud hole with the head still in the car? Obviously if it was on a bench it would be way easier but I can't do that atm lol.

If you were in this situation, what would you do?

I'd like say, you live and you learn... I know I have and I know this is all on me... Still sucks though 🙃

@JETURBO I'm gonna take the turbo off the way you've recommended. The manifold will still need to come off though, so any tips on removing those stubborn manifold bolts you mentioned? gave it a wee crack yesterday with a 10mm spanner but space is tight in there and I can't really get a good grip. They are tight af!

• Sad 1