The Daily's Quest for 310KW!

biddie_fiddler

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 11m 28d

Hahaha yea that would probably work, however I'm a worrier, doing this will mean I'll never see why the leak occurred, and that just sounds stressful 😂

If I'm going as far as replacing head studs, there isn't too much more work to remove the head. At least from what I can tell from reading the workshop manual. 

Exhaust and intake manifolds will need to come off, and a sensor or two. Sounds alright to me. If it furthers my knowledge on the engine, I'm all for it.

Anyone heard much about a leaking head gaskets on barra's?
I've seen a few posts here and there but doesn't appear a super common thing. Not as common as broken oil pumps and timing chains anyway ;) 

55 minutes ago, gaz097 said:

Not to be negative but this could end up a much bigger job if you need to machine the block for your new head gasket.

I doubt I'll need to, I can clean up the block surface myself. I'm putting a factory gasket back on so there really shouldn't any reason to machine the block :) 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

there's more "pushing water" due to excess cylinder pressure, but that was fixed in tunes a while back and then we didn't hear much except for the high power blokes damaging them.

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

Damn, ngl, I was hoping for a "yea, its an issue seen before on the forums" 😂

Also, in other news, I was donated a rear housing from my brother. WG flapper already welded, thinking about sending it to get an external gate setup welded on. Noticed it has "1.06" on it though.

Do F6's (3582s) use 1.06 rear housings? Thought they used a smaller rear housing 🤔

Whats the standard for xr6 turbos and FPVs? Are they the same? 

Df8vlEe.jpg

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

Thanks for the clarification @k31th :) 

Anyone know much about a company called "Spoolinboost"? They seem to be the cheapest (by a couple $100) when it comes to external wastegate kits. From the 3 I've looked at anyway.

Spoolinboost external WG - $722.73

Antz Performance external WG kit option 2 - $1149.90

XR6T developments external WG kit - $1495

All w/o shipping

They all include a gen V 45mm turbosmart WG too. 

I don't see how spoolinboost comes considerably under the other, maybe just a competition thing?

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

Yeh Spoolinboost are local here in S.A and the owner Will does a good job, he’s some form of welder fabricator by trade if I remember correctly and goes alright with gluing metal together !

Just check as some prices are exchange only not outright purchase 

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

@JETURBO Of the 3 listed, it apears that xr6t developments is the only one that doesn't require you to send them your housing.

Antz and spoolinboost require you to send the housing to them.

The difference in their prices is pretty crazy.

Ah well, add that to list of parts I will impulsively purchase 😁

28925d6763f82f6016e1de3486f17120.gif

• 1 month later...
  • [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

Picked up my brothers car for him on friday from MT.

Fitted with MT Stage 3 (I think?) built motor and a pulsar 3584 after cooking his stock one, think I've mentioned the whole story about this on the forum somehwere before but I'll do a sentence recap for anyone curious.

FG mk2 turbo bought from dealer, turns out had rods replaced with BA rods then traded in, got tuned with bigger turbo, rodney came knocking, went back to MT, here we are now.

Motor is going through Robs run-in process. He had already done the bedding in process on the dyno. Has to do 1,500kms then goes in for a tune.

The car is unbelievably smooth. I was so blown away at just how smooth it was when driving it. There is not a single vibration, felt like driving a tesla just about 🤣

Currently limited to 5k rpm.

Placing bets on how long his poor stock zf is gonna last with the new power plant lol, it is next on the list for an upgrade though.

He has gifted me the gt3582 that was on the car previously. Will be going on the car once I have the funds to do it 🤣

8tj34RM.jpg 

• Like 3

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Blew up the turbo motor, replaced it with a na motor. Plenty of people modify the ever loving fark out of cars and do what I mentioned, or return to stock and sell it.