Trans temp + Engine Temp

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y

+1 obd reader. If you just want to keep an eye on it you can get a bluetooth obd reader and use the torque pro app on your phone. 

I went down the more "seamless" approach because I have the kayhan head unit - I used a usb obd reader and connected it to the rear of the head unit. High speed readings straight to the display with no comms delay or error (not so far anyways) 👌👌

obviously actual gauges with accurate sensors is better, but if all you're after is a ball-park figure then obd reader is fine

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 7d

I've got the wired version of one of these:

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

Will read anything the ECU sees. Has a bunch of standard options plus you can code in vehicle specific stuff. Can flick between screens too so you can have different gauges for different situations.

Have got trabns temp showing on it. Engine temp keeps switching between actual temp and -40 degrees. There is an easy fix I just need to be bothered doing it

• Member For: 3y 7m 6d

Thanks for the tips guys , muchly appreciated. Though , I'm kinda old school and like my pod gauges👍................... For reading trans temp......would it be reasonable to put an adapter/gauge reader in the line that runs from the trans to the cooler. ( yes, I have the cooler mounted to the gearbox still. ) and for reading oil pressure and temp, just use the sandwich plate between the oil filter and block?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

either a sandwich plate or t-piece(s) from the turbo oil-feed-line for oil temp/pressure.

if you want trans temp it'll be more difficult but do-able by measuring after the trans cooler to the trans.

• Member For: 6y 10m 28d

You really don't want trans fluid over 90 at all. Its best to keep it at 80 and under, it deteriorates extremely quickly over those temps. I have a bypass and separate cooler with fan and mine never gets over 80. Also, I know it sucks on the track but if you haven't got a fully built ZF you should just leave it in sports mode and not change gears manually. From what I've heard most failures are with sticky tyres and manual gear changes.

This is just off the web, but I have heard it a few times and when I had the factory set up the transmission was just slop after 90.

http://thetransmissioncentre.com.au/?page_id=105#:~:text=Normal driving will raise fluid,say up to 160%2C000 km.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 20d

that's impossible if u want to track or have any spirited driving. So long as u replace the fluid often enough its fine.

Even the article explains the service interval at different operating temperatures, I dont think anyone tracking their car should be under any illusions that u have to service stuff way more frequently...

“At 90 degrees C., for instance, fluid life is reduced to 80,000 km. At 110 degrees, which is commonly encountered in many transmissions, the fluid is only good for about 60 000km. At 120 degrees C., the fluid won’t go much over 15,000 km. Add another 20 degrees, and life expectancy drops to 8000kms. Go to 150 degrees C., and 1,000 to 1,500 klm is about all you’ll get before the transmission burns up”

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y

I just installed a fan on my trans cooler. Cooler was going great apart from when I was on long drives followed by terrible traffic. Sitting with no air flow shot the temps over 90c and sometimes over 100c!

I now have the fan along with a thermo switch that triggers on at 85 and off at 78 (something like that). Works so well! Loud asf though, but that's the price you gotta pay I suppose

Edited by biddie_fiddler

• 1 year later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 2m 8d
On 01/12/2020 at 7:29 AM, El Andrew said:

I've got the wired version of one of these:

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

Will read anything the ECU sees. Has a bunch of standard options plus you can code in vehicle specific stuff. Can flick between screens too so you can have different gauges for different situations.

Have got trabns temp showing on it. Engine temp keeps switching between actual temp and -40 degrees. There is an easy fix I just need to be bothered doing it

Can you please share the code to show the transmission temp. The ones I have keep showing up as err on my ultragauge mx1.4