Oil temps on track days

Eather40

• Member For: 5y 15d

How hot is too hot for the oil in the barra? First track day in a while (curcit racing) and it's a warm day. No oil cooler and seeing temps of 120-130 degrees Celsius. Trying to give as much mechanical sympathy as possible. What temperature should I begging to really worry at if I see it?.

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

The factory top temp limit is 136*c ish  then it will auto select 3rd gear lock and limit you untill the oil temp cools down. It needs to see under 132*c to re engage 

In the over temp mode all sorts of safety’s cut in causing it to pretty much be useless 

Something to be mindful of is at 135*c your oil is breaking down at a rapid rate and serving very little protection against the metal surfaces. This is the exact reason there is an oil temp upper/lower limit engagement. 

It’s pretty simple on the falcon..... want to circuit race it, cool every fluid, upgrade all mechanical engagement items, upgrade all factory coolers then be willing to throw it all away and replace for new on the next race as it’ll all be toast after 1 event as she’s a big fat biarch to throw around a circuit ;)  

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

don't throw away the coolers, just replace the fluid, I hope is what you mean by "be willing to throw it all away and replace for new"

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

yeah, you literally said

want to circuit race it, cool every fluid, upgrade all mechanical engagement items, upgrade all factory coolers then be willing to throw it all away and replace for new on the next race as it’ll all be toast after 1 event as she’s a big fat biarch to throw around a circuit

... saying "upgrade all factory coolers then be willing to throw it all away" is a little ambiguous, to say the least haha

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

Yeh mate, True, throw the car away and get another one, a track day will destroy everything including reasonable judgment 

But, no ... all fast specific consumables are knackered after a track day, it’s very common to have to replace all fluids, brake pads, Rotors or need a good machining, Plugs, Filters the list goes on ! 

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

haha didn't quite go that far (your first sentence there), but I understand your exaggeration for effect in this case.

Your second sentence is exactly what you need :spoton:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 19d

Zf will overheat at 120 and u will be in limp mode there anywhere (if auto). Otherwise over 120 engine oil temp the oil starts breaking down faster. Best if your tracking in the warmer well 1 have cooling everywhere but also get some oil with the zinc esters like penrite 10 tenths. Holds up to higher temps a bit better. If your a drug dealer royal purple is apparently good.

I typically only track mine in winter but with my extra cooling im thinking of going back in march april next year. Ive got huge trans and engine oil coolers with thermo fans and just got a fenix radiator put in this year too. In winter I was able to do 20-30 minutes without overheating I was fuel surging before overheating.

Just remember cool down laps and bonnet up in the pits. Some industrial fans in the pits and spray water can also help.