Noob to FG MK2 XR6T

Frank Castle 85

Hey all, 

Sorry for the message, I've been searching but can't find the rightish answers, keen to hear peoples experiences. I've always had bikes and one night (I won't say where) I had an FG XR6T stay about a car length behind me. I have a Hayabusa (well three of them), so I think you can gather how quick that car was and I was in complete awe so I went and bought one hunted for a stock one. I've had the ute now for about 3 months and so far I've dropped it two inches all round coilers in the front SL leafs in the rear with one inch lowering blocks, xForce 4in dump into 3.5in. This weekend, I'm about to do the standard air box and battery relocation and upgrade the intercooler pipes (intercooler was upgraded by previous owner, but not the pipes), will be also replacing the actuator - waste gate. When this is complete and if I got a tune, is the car maxed out now? Is it possible to get 15-18psi of a stock turbo? If I buy 1000cc injectors and fuel pump will that be safe to get around 300kw at the wheels or could I expect a little more or do I need to do Valve springs too? Sorry for the noob questions and thanks in advance.   

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

Yeah, with just 1000cc injectors, a catalytic converter and a fuel pump replacement (minimum) you can get around 300rwkw. Valve springs are a hit or miss thing in terms of handling your upped boost level. With your mods you should be able to max out the stock turbocharger on the FG which is around 320rwkw (98 fuel) which would be about ~15psi in the top end (but up to 23psi in the mid-rev-range) which is around what the smaller 53mm turbocharger can flow at maximum in the top end revs of a Barra.

If you upgrade the turbo to a stock BA/BF 61mm turbo you can make more power on 98. If you are willing to run E85 that'll require more in terms of mods and upgrades to support it but you can max out the smaller turbo around 340-350rwkw.

Thanks mate, is really appreciate the information. I didn’t realise a BA/BF turbo would fit on an FG, that was a surprise haha. 

More mods would mean like, springs, seats, timing chain, sprocket and head studs hey, when I do those I should go an upgrade on a turbo and maybe get 500-600hp? 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

You can choose to go with an upgraded turbo if you want and go for way more than 500hp, but then you definitely need valve springs, timing chain/guide and oil pump gear upgrades at minimum along with all of your fuel delivery, air delivery and exhaust mods.

The stock BA/BF turbo can run up to ~400rwkw on 98 and low-to-mid 400's on E85, but you'll want to be upgrading it for anything close to or over those figures, just for efficiency's sake and future power plan requirements.