Blow off valve

coolxr6t

• Member For: 7y 4m 15d

Hey guys, I have a turbo side intake installed on my fg. I like the intake noise, but not so much the loud turbo flutter from taking the bov off. Can anyone recommend a blow off valve I can install in place of where the old one was that isn't too loud. Or if I can somehow use the factory bov. I don't want it too loud if that's possible. Thanks

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 8d

You can use the factory BOV, you'll just have to either have it vent to atmosphere (might not be legal and you should put a filter on it so it doesn't suck in outside air into the intercooled intake pathway) or plumb it over to the air intake to re-circulate like the factory setup does (it's a long and un-sightly fat hose to run over/around the engine to a turbo-side intake, unfortunately for this setup). Any 25mm BOV can work depending on whether you want it to vent or recirculate but the stock one is fine if you don't want to spend the money.

• Like 1

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 6m 12d

Here's how the BOV is installed with my turbo side kit. (green = hose, blue = BOV)

I'm using a GFB Deceptor Pro adjustable BOV but the stock one will connect up just fine in the same spot

xr6 turbo intercooler intake bov powder coated.jpg

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

^^ and that's about as good as you can get it from an "unsightly" point of view haha it's a big fat soft hose that just recirculates unused boost.

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

Basically, no... they all make a "pssscht" sound when vented to atmo. Some change the sound (make it louder or high/low pitched etc) but they're all designed to be noisy if they change the sound, so the likely quietest is the stock BOV

• 1 month later...
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 8d

I'm running stock bov vented to atmosphere through a small k&n vent filter. It doesn't sound to obnoxious at all really. Definitely nothing like a ricey one.

I'm running about 15psi and seems to work fine for now.

Not sure if it's even legal here in NZ but I don't really give a crap.

The alternative tu tu tu tu tu tu sound is not for me.

Plumbing back to the inlet with turbo side intake is not the look I want either, to much hose!