FG SUNGLASSES HOLDER / ROOF LIGHT

• Member For: 3y 7m 5d

hey all, having just purchased an FG, I'm new to the whole experience of the car, and have ticked off a lot of things, thanks to this forum. Though, one that stumps me.........I have the standard interior roof lights , though if I was to purchase a roof light with sunglasses holder.........are the holes for the extended size of the bigger sunglasses/light already in the roof lining? or do I have to drill them?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

that's an interesting question... I'm pretty sure you'll have to put another hole there... just compare the two light fixtures and see where they mount and make your decision on what to do based on that.

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 5m 22d

Mounts to the roof lining the same as the standard one from memory, gotta take ceiling down to do it I think, easy enough job. I did it like 5 yrs ago so memory is a little fuzzy on the details

Just went out to my parts pile & found the old one. It seems I may not have install the larger backing plate that came with it from the wreckers and left the factory small one in. It's mounted 100% solid though.
Would have had to cut the lining with a knife to fit the glasses holder part as it is recessed up into the roof space.
Lining needs to come out anywayas it's screwed in from above. 8f27ea2da278f62e85d1e5203bbbda83.jpg

• Like 1

• Member For: 3y 7m 5d

cheers.....since my roof lining is still perfect, I'll leave 'well enough alone' until the inevitable fail of the lining starts to sag, and then replace/upgrade to the sunglasses holder....

• Feeling the Love :-)
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 11m 25d
1 hour ago, Snowbear77 said:

upgrade to the sunglasses holder....

I wouldn't even bother mate

whatever you put in that stupid holder gets baked by the sun and burns your face/hands when you take them out of it

do yourself a favor and use the center console 

• Haha 2

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

a full inch of sound deadening? that's intense... plus, you don't hear too many people doing the ceiling for sound deadening.

I went complete over kill 6 yrs ago. 100% coverage with deadening through everything but the floor and up to 2 layers of car builders insulation where I could fit it in the ceiling and back wall, was trying to cut out rattles, road & wind noise from the headboard ladder rack mostly. Helps with temp and the Doof Doof too.