max boost psi on standard injectors

kuruptnyou

• Member For: 3y 4m 29d

I got an 07 sy2 territory ghia turbo, has been tuned to run 14psi and has a 14psi actuator and it starts to come onto boost and then kinda flattens out and makes a weird sound... its had an engine replacement with a stock standard engine put in and im thinking maybe its the stock injectors arent hearty enough to cope with the boost? whats the max psi the standard injectors are capable? I did have a standard actuator on it and it boosted sweeet all the way up thru the revs but ever since replacing the turbo I lost the standard actuator and had replaced it with 14psi actuator.. since then it hasnt been boosting properly... I have also replaced the turbo throttle body with a NA throttle body cause I wrecked the idle level adjuster thing but I do believe the throttle bodys are the same.. PLEASE HELP.. also the exhaust manifold bottom area where the turbo bolts on glows red now

Edited by kuruptnyou

• Member For: 3y 4m 29d

also... as opposed to having to unbolt and pull turbo off etc to replace the wastegate actuator with something closer to a standard one.. could I put a boost controller in and turn the boost down? if so.. where exactly do I put it?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 14d

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

No need to go crazy posting on other older threads, this thread will suffice for your questions.

1. Why was the engine replaced? it might give you a clue.

2. Stock injectors in an 07 territory won't support much over 12-14psi on a clean-fuel delivery tune, probably not even that if you're going for correct air-fuel ratio's.

3. If it was making heaps of boost on the standard actuator, that'll mean you had some sort of leak that meant the wastegate wasn't closing or being held closed as it shouldn't overboost like that and in a situation of overboost you can easily destroy an engine as the stock fuel delivery system will never keep up with as much boost as the stock turbo can make.

4. If you replaced your actuator with a 14psi one, then your MINIMUM boost peak will be around the rating of your actuator,... you should never be using a 14psi actuator with a stock setup, that's inviting overboost that your fuel delivery system cannot support.

5. It's fine to use a N/A throttle body in a Turbo vehicle... you'll just want to get the Throttle Position Sensor values run up on a dyno to ensure it's correct for the application, though.

6. The exhaust manifold will glow that hot because you're shoving 2-3x more compressed air down there than the standard setup, of course it's going to overheat, let alone the overboost lean (engine-destroying) conditions that run hotter in the exhaust valves/manifold.

7. No, as in #4, your actuator will not be able to be controlled by the stock system (or any "boost controller" you try) and you'll need to put a stock actuator in right away, at a minimum.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 11m 15d
On 26/11/2020 at 3:43 AM, kuruptnyou said:

im thinking maybe its the stock injectors arent hearty enough to cope with the boost?

PLEASE HELP.. also the exhaust manifold bottom area where the turbo bolts on glows red now

the F6 turbo territory pulls in 13psi of boost in the verry mid range, drooping to 6psi from 4.5k to 6k.

this tells you yes a std injector can take 14psi.
But it also tells you it cant take it in the higher rev range.

id say ford wanted the f6 territory to have a higher power output on paper without changing anything to expensive.

I wouldn't be running to much more than 8 psi on a std injector. get rid of the 14 psi actuator assap. will be glowing red from runing lean and hot. 

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 23d

Yes factory B series injectors struggle to maintain good fuel target with 8psi to redline and over 95% IDC 

They're really out of limit quickly when tuning and from factory spec being a maximum in regards to boost levels