Front end bounce

joffa1

• Member For: 6y 8m 17d

Got a 2012 fg xr6 turbo ute just clocked up 125,000kms.

In the last few weeks the front end of the car seems to be handling really badly. Best way to describe whats happening is when I go over a speed bump, even very slowly, the front end of the car bounces up and down multiple times instead of just the usual single rebound...

Even at high speed on the freeway can hit a bit of a bump and it gets really bouncy and floaty. Doesnt feel very safe to be honest. 

First thought was front shocks but I thought worn out shocks would have a different feel as in the bumps being really harsh? Just guessing here...

Any advice appreciated. Cheers.

Can ball joints just be replaced or have to replace whole control arm? Recommended parts, easy enough to do for a hack home mechanic?

Looking at these maybe?

https://www.sparesbox.com.au/part/superpro-lower-control-arm-kit-trc1009?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIge_awo7h7AIVgTgrCh0NTwH7EAQYAyABEgJ9J_D_BwE

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

you can just do the ball joint if you have the right tool to press the ball joint in or just pay a mechanic to do it.

• Like 1

Rough idea on cost? Thinking might just diy and replace control arms so no mucking around with ball joint presses etc. I would imagine roughly same price as paying mechanic labour to replace just ball joints...

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 7d

Springs absorb the impact on the road and shocks absorb the rebound/bounce effect. The test for shocks is to push down on the car above the shocks and see if it comes to rest in a single movement or bounces around.

Sounds like checking shocks would be worthwhile.

• Like 2

Will check that too... there’s no clunking or weird noises which I believe usually accompanies ball joint failure... but need to inspect to rule out. 

125,000kms seems like a short life for front shocks to me... but sure its a possibility. Was my first thought. 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

you might be right, I don't have an FG and haven't done an FG one. I think @El Andrew did his FG ones no worries, or I might be remembering it incorrectly.