Turbo zf gearing

stiritup

• Member For: 3y 6m 19d

Hi all, just looking for some advice about my 6 speed auto.  I have searched for the answer but not seemed to find much. I just bought my first Turbo and to be honest im don't know a whole lot about them yet.

Car is Jan 2010 FG turbo ute lux pack.. I also own an NA

In the NA driving miss daisy with no real load it gets into fifth gear at pretty much 58km/h and then 6th comes at 68km/h

In the turbo it seems a bit different. I realiise they have slightly different software but at 65km/h I am still in 4th. 5th is at 68km/h and 6th I have to get to 88km'h

This is not what I am used to and really its a 5 speed because on 90% of roads is 80km/h speed or less and I feel like at 70+ it should allow 6th gear when just cruising .. When in manual mode it I can change to 6th at 68 or 70/km/h but not in Drive mode. I enjoy cruising  it with minimal boost most of the time but it seems to hold gears longer than I would like. In an 80 speed zone 5th gear and I think its revs to high and still more to go to get it into 6th. 

Gearbox does not seem to have any other major issues so I am wondering if this is Xrt normal? could it be a tune?  The car is 100% stock at the moment but my ford mechanic said it feels like it has more torque than other stock ones.. I know people get mods and tunes so it cold differ but I am interested in how others people ZF operate regarding the gearing especially stock ones.

Thanks heaps :)

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 15d

Seems pretty normal... if you want it fixed to be less aggressive with holding gears, then just get a gearbox tune. It might already have a gearbox tune, though, by the sound of it.

Yeah. do you have one mate? is your gearing the same or have you already played with the stock software? Does seem to go normally otherwise but yeah I figured it could be changed to personal preference but I don't want to throw more money at it just yet.. Would ease my mind to know its normal though. Been wondering if someone tuned it this way or its been flogged.

Mechanic said it could be that it's adapted to previous driver.. I have been driving real slow to see if will adapt to my style but it seems to be set in it's ways.

Edited by stiritup

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 15d

I don't own one, but have ridden in enough of them to know a fair bit, but somebody who owns one and daily's it can surely add more anecdotal evidence.

The adaptation does occur if somebody is driving it hard previous to your ownership. You can reset this by leaving the battery disconnected overnight.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 26d

I used to drive like a nanna and my car would shift like a one eyed retarded slug. Now I drive like a 3 balled peanut and it holds gears where it previously wouldn't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh ok. I did disconnect battery on some advice but only for 30 seconds. Maybe I should try overnight and see if there is any difference.. I have not done many km in it yet so I will just baby it for a a while and see if anything happens.  It's hard to drive a Turbo like a nana but think if I could just bring it down a bit it would be better to drive daily and have 6th at 80km/h and a little more fuel efficient too... I can always use manual mode to get the job done until it changes or gets tuned..  Thanks guys, 

Edited by stiritup

• 2 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 21d

Disconnect battery and turn headlights on, use a resistor or bulb with wire/alligator clips between the pos and neg battery terminals (not the battery! Lol) should lunch the flux capacitor fasterer...