Need help. High pitch noise when taking off or rolling

stiritup

• Member For: 3y 5m 23d

Hi Everyone.. Just had my turbo ute fixed today but after a short drive something is wrong..

I am fairly sure its not related to the work done today.. New front bushes and new reco tailshaft.

After picking it up I was very happy that it was fixed and driving well. Within 50km I pulled up at a light and noticed what sounds like a whistle that was only audible as I came to a stop. Its almost like a kettle and it winds down to a stop as the car stops. On idle its not there.. As I take off the whistle starts but goes away or seems to after picking up.  From outside the car or jst roling with windows down it's bit like a sharp edge scraping on a bit of tin and its whirring a bit with the rotation of the driveline.  Inside the car when in traffic and windows up its more of a whistle and its coming from somewhere behind the ICC near the gearstick. I thought it might be a 1st gear issue but it will make the noise when rolling in N also. 

When I got the car back I noticed the engine also sounded weird almost like a heavy timing chain rattle at the front of the engine and a clicky clunk every 20 seconds or so from somewhere on the turbo side. Car did not drive differently or give any faults on dash.  Anybody have any idea's?   

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

best guess is one of your brake dust shields is running up against your brake disc a touch somewhere near where the sound is emanating from and if you get up to a reasonable speed there's enough air pressure in the area to separate the dust shield from the brake disc... only a stab in the dark, though

Thanks for the reply.. It's not that though. have had that before and this car has no dust shields on it.  Its literally coming from engine/transmission. A Whistling from behind firewall but outside its like a whirring squeal. 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

jack up the rear of the car and turn the tailshaft while it's in neutral and see if you can spot/hear a closer location for the noise.

Yeah thanks, I will try that as soon as I get a chance. I'll see if it makes that noise rolling without engine running. I have not had any time to look at it but honestly I wouldn't know where to start.. Spent the last months throwing money at this car chasing a different problem.. Finally got it sorted today and now this.  Hope its not critical. 😞 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

yeah, hopefully it's not critical... doesn't sound like it, based on your description... make sure you come back here to let us know what you did to fix it when you do :)

Ok I fixed it.  It's a project so it stay's in a mates shed.. I was freaking out yesterday as I had not had a chance to look at it and had just spent thousands on the car.

Turns out it was trivial.. When I first got to car it was cold and made no issue but after driving it for a while the noise started again so I jacked her up and started turning the tailshaft. Immediately I noticed the noise was from center bearing. It was like a rubber squeel/squeeky sound coming out of a brand new center bearing not even 50km old.. Sprayed a bit of wd40 in it and the noise is now gone. Inside the car it sounded much more forward to be the center bearing.. Anyhow I should probably slop a bit of grease around it next time I have it up. 

Edited by stiritup
  • Like 1