High pitched noise between 90-120

Alex fg Barra

• Member For: 3y 7m 5d

Hey guys I have a 2011 mk1 manual Ute, it has a high pitched noise between 90-120

you can’t hear a thing until you hit 90, and it disappears complete at 120, it’s only noticeable when cruising at that speed, and it only happens when I’m accelerating, as soon as I take my foot off it disappears.

as you can imagine it’s quite hard to diagnose a noise that only happens at highway speed

any help would be greatly appreciated 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

if it only happens when accelerating it's likely a rear-end suspension component that has a resonance when pushed on as the load transfers to the rear under acceleration. You could probably set it up on a hoist and replicate it by pushing up or pulling down on parts while the wheels are spinning in the air at the relevant speed.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

alright, you should be able to find it :) maybe it's just something like a loose wheel weight or something? ... make sure you come back with pics etc when you find out what the problem is :D

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

yeah, you just share it to YT like you did haha well done.

I would be thinking that's something to do with the wheels/tyres, based on the noise.

• Member For: 3y 7m 5d

Possibly, I feel like if it was the wheels, it would happen weather my foot was on the throttle or not

as is as soon as I touch the accelerator it starts, and as soon as I get off it vanishes, I was thinking something along the lines of throttle body/etc 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

could also just be one of the gaurd liners... when you accelerate it pushes it into a position where wind can whistle through it due to the load transfer but when you're off the throttle it the gap is closed ... so much speculation hahaha