5k to spend on mods

coolxr6t

• Member For: 7y 3m 26d

I have a stock manual fg xr6t with 100 000km on the clock. I have around $5000 to spend on go fast mods. Would that be enough to get around 300rwkw's? If so what parts would be required and who is the best tuner around the Canberra area. Thanks.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

yes, you can get to 300's on the FG platform with 5k (sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on how things go). Start with injectors, fuel pump, dump+cat and a tune should get you close.

Canberra itself is a bit of a wash, best to travel to Melbourne/Sydney to get a quality tune done.

• 1 month later...

I got a price off a place in Canberra to get around 300kw. It included a full turbo back exhaust. Is this really required? I've heard just doing the cat and maybe a mid muffler delete to make it sound a bit better? The price included injectors but pretty sure not the fuel pump. Also no mention of the stock intercooler. Is the stock intercooler ok for that much power? Thanks guys

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

For an FG, the full turbo-back isn't needed at low 300's, just a cat is needed for low 300's. If you want it to sound better there's other options. Injectors are definitely needed, fuel pump not 100% needed but a good idea to change it out as it's cheap and makes the fuel delivery at low 300's much more reliable. The stock intercooler will handle low 300's but you'd want to swap it out if you're going to be doing multiple hard accelerations in a row. If you just want a fast daily that doesn't hit the racing track (not drag-strip) or mountain roads, you probably don't need an intercooler, but again a good idea to make your car run more efficiently.

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

What Keith said. I'd do cat and dump only, injectors, pump for safety and a tune. You can always add the cooler later. That's where my FG started. Factory catback is already straight through and sufficiently sized to handle anything the stock turbo will breath into it.

I'd get a couple of opinions too as the Barra scene here in Canberra isn't great (in my view) and I had a couple of tuners try to sell me parts I didn't need or tell me stuff that I knew wasn't right.

What fuel pump would you recommend for 300kw's? Also if I do the intercooler later on, would it need to be re tuned? Who would you recommend for the tune in or around Canberra? I will travel to Sydney if its that much better? I just don't no where. Thanks

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

255lph drop-in replacement will do the job for mid 300's (and beyond if you just use it as a "lift pump" for a surge-tank setup which you'll need around mid 300's). It's best to get another tune to suit the intercooler but unnecessary. Tuners in Canberra are limited, but NSW itself has plenty of choice; have a read of this thread: https://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/82602-recommended-tuner-workshop-new-south-wales/

• Like 1

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y

I've been in the same boat as you @coolxr6t. I've spent the better part of 1.5 years slowly accumulating parts for my daily with 300-310KW in mind as my goal. Imo pretty achievable and more than enough for a daily.

The last part of my mod list arrived last week with intention of going to Monsta Torque in WA for his stage 1 package. I've done the following including current prices:

• Antz intake and battery relo - $479.90
  • Intune motorsport intercooler piping - $260.00
  • Intune motorsport throttle elbow - $135.00
  • Plazzy 1000hp intercooler. This is extremely overkill but I got a surprise $1.5k bonus from work so I figured why not, looks killer! - $1,290.00 
  • Ultrex Dump and high flow cat - $699.99
  • MT Stage 1 (includes 1000cc injectors and a PCMTEC tune) - $1,950

Total: $4814.89

You can save some money by getting a much cheaper intercooler. I'd definitely recommend swapping out the stock one though, its a good piece of mind upgrade that you can carry through if you decide to go for more power later on. 

Just checking antz performance and they have a IC and piping kit for $1,389.90. Not sure how good the intercooler is though, wonder if anyone on the forums has one and can give their input on it.

Subbing that in for the above stuff puts the total at $4519.79.

I don't really think the intake and relo is necessary for 300kw, but it sounds mint and removes the long asf intake pipe that is surely a restriction to the motor.

Some other things I'd recommend you do:

• External trans cooler or PWR drop in replacement to avoid any milkshake headaches
  • Oil pump gears
  • Turbo oil feed replacement (earls does a decent one)

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d
What fuel pump would you recommend for 300kw's? Also if I do the intercooler later on, would it need to be re tuned? Who would you recommend for the tune in or around Canberra? I will travel to Sydney if its that much better? I just don't no where. Thanks
Haha I DIY tune for a reason There's definitely some better choices in Sydney

As well as injectors, dump, cat and pump I've got the following, driveline-wise:

-Antz battery relocation and turbo side intake (not needed for power, but sounds great and makes so many maintenance tasks easier by not having the crossover
-Golebys turbo oil feed line (comes with Turbosmart filter) - lots of people say these aren't needed in an FG but I went for piece of mind
-Heat exchanger for auto - this is a must for the ZF regardless of whether or not you add power
-GFB fuel.oressure reg (not needed, but I wanted the gauge and needed a new reg)

255lph pump will be heaps and won't need a wiring upgrade, new fuel reg or return line modification. If you go bigger for that power target you just create more headaches