Harsh at higher rpm

cmf60

• Member For: 3y 7m 28d

Hi guys,  I recently brought an FG XR6T auto ute with 90k's on it.   The thing seems to go quite well but the engine goes quite harsh when revved right out and sounds like it might be floating valves.   I have read that they suffer from poor valve springs .... but before spending the $'s I thought I'd ask - is that harshness typical of them or does it need springs ??

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

Valve springs going soft is not typical of a stock car, but one that was previously modified yeah definitely a common symptom... also you can confirm it's valve springs if you're giving it the beans and it "breaks down" at higher revs then when you slow down to an idle the idle will be rough, too, as the springs return to their "before giving it the beans" state.

If it only goes bad when it's at higher revs with boost, then ignition coils or spark plug gap are more likely to be the cause.

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

• Member For: 3y 7m 28d

No I haven't noticed any signs of lifter pump-up (I assume that's what your referring to) ...   Will try some fresh plugs in it first and see if that cleans it up.

Thank you for your input.