ba/fg VCT solenoids

ERICtheBERIC

• Member For: 9y 7m 13d

Gday guys, im trying to fit the VCT solenoids to my FG n/a + Turbo motor and ran into a bit of an issue. I was originally going to use the VCT's from my BA turbo motor but they are apparently too short (on the right of the photo). The FG solenoids I have dont have the holding bracket attached to them like the BA ones do so they are free to rotate within the housing even though there is a bolt hole in the cam caps. Am I missing a bracket to hold them in?

Edited by ERICtheBERIC

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 22d

I gather its the rocker cover that's different. Try BA cover on FG with BA VCT. You will need to use BA BF coils. This is just a guess but try it. 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 19d

They are just loose in there, there is no bracket to hold them in. There is a rubber seal with a metal ring around it with metal plate that go on the outside of the rocker cover that the solenoids go through. You'll see how they can't come out once the solenoid seals are in place. As far as there being a bolt hole in the cam cap, just put a bolt through it like the others.

Do not mix and match cam caps, they are honed to suit the head and mixing them up will very likely gall the head.

• Like 2

• Member For: 9y 7m 13d

thanks mate yeah I see what you mean with the seals on the rocker cover side. Just weird how theres still the bolt holes on the FG cam caps if theyre not being used.. they are the right cam covers for that motor so no dramas there

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 19d

Yeah I see the bolt holes you mean. Everything will be cast the same from the factory so sometimes there are extra bit that aren't used, such as the turbo drain casting on na sumps.

If those bolt hole are doing nothing then just leave them as they are.