Factory windage tray?

ken666

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 2m 27d

Hey guys

I'm just about to screw the new motor together and I'm a little curious about how many builders are also fitting the factory windage tray on the mains when also fitting an aftermarket girdle?

The girdle will obviously strengthen the bottom end to a much more rigid assembly, but I am more looking at the oil surge control advantages of also fitting it.

Cheers Ken

I will start to post some pics of the assembly in progress once I begin the build. (After I have all the job fully planned!)

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

I removed the windage tray from its side supports by drilling the spot welds, and fitted it between the girdle and the arp fasteners on the main studs.

I'm pretty sure I had to bend the sides of the windage tray slightly to fit the sump, as the girdle is thicker than the windage tray assy and moves the location of the windage tray towards the bottom of the sump a bit. This is no big deal and can be done quite easily.

With all this, needless to say you have to make sure the nuts will get proper purchase on the main studs. You can get the top of the main caps machined if needed.

Edited by Puffwagon
  • Like 2

• Donating Members

Cheers for that, I expected that I wasn't the only person to feel the benefits of fitting it.

I expect there is going to be slight modifications to install both, there appears to be a slight modification (either drill it out, or weld on a new larger diameter washer) to fit the oil pump pickup on the stud anyway.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

It is fairly straight forward once you look at it and have a think about it. You can trial fit stuff a dozen times if needed, so you end up with a result that you are happy with. I had mine on and off a bit working out how to get it right. You'll be fine :)

• Donating Members

Yeah I won't be assembling the engine without it that's for sure.

When I used to build Cleveland V8's that was the first part that I would source for the build, especially when it was going to have big G's under acceleration!

Nothing worse than starving an engine of oil even for a millisecond.

• Donating Members
8 hours ago, Puffwagon said:

I removed the windage tray from its side supports by drilling the spot welds, and fitted it between the girdle and the arp fasteners on the main studs.

Here's a pic if anyone else is interested in the side mount that it could on as Puffwagon has removed  in order to allow the windage tray to line up with the studs properly.

IMG_20200912_023851.jpg

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

I removed the windage tray supports to allow for more length on the main studs. With a 10mm girdle, stock windage tray and stock main caps, I couldn't get the nuts onto the main studs.

After removing the supports and machining the main caps, I could get the nuts on properly.

• Donating Members

Yeah I ended up leaving them on, as the girdle is 13mm thick and I have fitted 14mm studs in the caps (which I overlooked getting drilled out to suit!)

In the end I've decided to fit a modified sump to combat the clearance issues and even cut a piece of another windage tray to fit on the last 3 caps too.

Thanks for clearing that up Puffwagon

Cheers ken