BA Falcon audio upgrade incl tweeters etc

Fordy_Tate

• Member For: 3y 7m 8d

Just bought my 3rd BA Falcon and got one without premium sound/colour screen but has an aftermarket Headunit (kdc-X7100DAB) and wires for a sub in the boot. But no tweeters in the A pillars and the front speakers sound WEAK compared to my old premium sound Falcon. What do I need to do to get properly good speakers, I've heard the 5 x 7 size isn't amazing but want to know what size I can go to and how to get it to fit (no rattles too). I assume I'd need a new AMP? What sort should I be looking for and how do I install or replace it? And Tweeters is it worth buying A pillars with the speaker grilles and putting in tweeters? How would I wire in the tweeters since it isn't premium sound. And Finally do I put a sub in the parcel shelf or the boot?

Sorry for all the questions but want to do this properly

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 9d

:Welcome2FordXR6t:'

1. 5x7 is fine in terms of power output if you choose the right speakers and fine with regard to fitment as they fit without modification, but you need a spacer for each speaker if you use a different size.

2. Since the headunit has it's own amplifier in it, no, you don't technically NEED an amp, but if you want more sound output you'll definitely want one.

3. Installing an amplifier is just a matter of finding a nice mounting point and running the required cabling. The "sort" depends on what specific output you want from an amp and what your budget is.

4. If you think it's worth buying A-pillars with speaker grilles and putting in tweeters you can, but you can also just chuck in speakers that have tweeter drivers mounted onto them.

5. You wire up the tweeters to the same signal source as the front speakers, just t-into the speaker lines. If you buy speakers that are "splits/crossovers" you'll pay more for them and also have separate tweeters to mids etc and you can just wire it relevant to the instructions for the specific speakers.

6. Parcel shelf is only suitable for a subwoofer if you build a box around it or use a free-to-air subwoofer. Generally it'll sound much better from a properly sized box but can sound very good without going to major expense/effort.

• Like 1