FG TURBO fuel leak

STFG

• Member For: 3y 7m 14d

Hi guys have a fg G6et and it has a small fuel leak from somewhere on the tank, have taken the back seat out and it didn’t seem to be coming from the fuel pump housing, smells pretty bad in the car. Only place I can see petrol residue is infrint of the diff area. Any suggestions where to look or what to do? 

thanks!

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 14d

drop the rear suspension and take the tank out is really your only option if you can't see where the leak is coming from.

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

I was worried I’d have to do that ☹️, have only had a quick look but I’m assuming the diff cradle needs to come out to remove the tank. Looks like I’ll need a decent mechanic SE Melb, won’t be attempting that myself. Cheers for the reply mate

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

ring around and find one that worked on falcon taxi's... they'd have the fuel tank removal and inspection process down to a science and wouldn't have high labour rates :)

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 25d

You'd be better off getting a camera on a stick aka borescope or use your phone in recording mode for a look, before dropping the cradle out. Ain't nobody got time fo dat.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

true, that's probably a better option... the mechanic will have one haha

also, if you can see the leak with your borescope but not your fingers/eyes, you'll need to remove the tank to repair it anyway.

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 23d

Has you car had an aftermarket fuel pump fitted or any reason the pump module has come out recently ?

Yes it did! Walbro went in 3 weeks ago. I have only just purchased the car and the old owner has said it went back because of the leak and that the O ring was replaced. Still seems to be leaking from somewhere though. I did check under the cradle cap but it seemed dry. I’m assuming you have had this issue?

Much appreciate the reply's!

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 23d

It’s definitely the “O” ring hasn’t been seated correctly, or has the typical dirt/rocks build up on the lip 

Your leak will only be visible when you fill the car past 3/4 tank and then pop the rear seat out to have a look ;) 

catch is to fix it you need it lower than 3/4 tank unless you’re willing to waste a 1/4 tank in the process lol 

Obviously I (and workshops) have drain methods to prove such a thing and fix the re fill the drained fuel ;) 

Edited by JETURBO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Legend! Thanks heaps mate I will fill the tank tommorw, already got the back seat out ready to look. It was apparently taken back to the mechanics that upgraded the fuel pump so my understanding is that it’s been re fitted already. Just strange it still smells pretty badly of fuel (was fixed 4 days ago) unless there is fuel sitting ontop of the tank that just isnt evaporating quickly.  Guess I’ll find out when I fill up lol

cheers mate