• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 24d

Ok, so I'm mining as usual so I don't have to start another thread...

I think I want to buy a FPR for the stock fuel rail (territory turbo) so while there are still discounts until midnight can I get some feedback on which is the preferred drop in FPR unit to get?

I've got the options of the

GFB from IMS at $264 and get a $30 turbosmart gauge (unless the GFB is accurate, it looks cheap?) or $100 150psi fuel pressure sensor.

Turbosmart  $329 drop in unit (FPR800 & gauge) from Goleby's or finally

Aftermarketindustries $399 (Turbosmart FPR1200) drop in kit from Goleby's with extra gauge available $31 or 150psi sensor $99???

The only other option I could think of would be getting an inline gauge or sensor so I know what the stock fuel pressure is considering I'll be doing my own tuning (learning mostly and I'm new to it) over a number of years I need data to look at as I'm sh*t for brains without it these days... 

All replies welcome from people with experience

@JETURBO @Puffwagon and friends! 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

The reg required is due to the return fuel flow.

Big pump means big return/reg for the most part.

It's only something you upgrade if necessary, so needless to say... Only upgrade if necessary!

You'll know when a pump is running out cos you'll have solid afr's to redline at lower boost and eventually adding boost will make it lean out, even though the commanded fuel hasn't changed.

• Donating Members

I've got a walbro 460 but to install it will be fk knows how many months away. I think the way I'm wired now (my brain, not the car) I struggle to grasp things easily unless I'm doing them all the time which with the laptop and datalogging I'm not plus I've always been better doing manual labour than looking at data so if I can see the actual fuel pressure or be able to change the pressure it's another data point I can put with injector duty cycle, lambda etc... Does that sound dumb? I can't write it down any easier as I'm a layman!

I guess I figured if I'm going to install a FP sensor inline and drill out the stock reg after the 460 pump install then a drop-in FPR might have been worth it as it's a mechanical thing I can actually change...

Seems I'm trying to talk myself into it lol

Thanks for the feedback as usual. I'm sure I'll ponder until the last minute and impulse buy a turbo at the final minute instead

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

A 460 on stock wiring and reg can be tuned around, the way the pcm works it will take care of it anyway, even if it's not tuned...but it ain't recommended lol.

Don't waste time drilling a stock reg, a direct fit only cost a few hundred clams anyway.

The sensor will go in place of the gauge in the reg. They are handy but experience can also tell you when fuel pressure is dropping.

• Like 1

• Donating Members

Cheers, yeh I don't have the wideband wired atm but the LTFT is pulling 21% idling so I'm chasing an issue. I was positive it was always around -3-5% just from my gauges but it's a next year job now as we head to the Gold Coast on Friday. I'll upgrade the wiring for the pump and run bulkheads through the surge pot lid. Pretty sure I have copper or brass bulkheads somewhere from car audio days. 

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 11m 28d

If you're looking to push more power in the future, and you plan to add more pump and stuff, you're gonna need an fpr anyway. So, if its on sale now I'd get it now. that's my 2 cents anyway 😂

• Like 1

• Donating Members
1 hour ago, biddie_fiddler said:

If you're looking to push more power in the future, and you plan to add more pump and stuff, you're gonna need an fpr anyway. So, if its on sale now I'd get it now. that's my 2 cents anyway 😂

What FPR did you end up going with? 

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 11m 28d

I didn't need one as I went with a walbro 255 

My future plan is to install the kpm 1000hp drop in fuel module, and it comes with a fpr, hence why I've not bothered purchasing one previously :) 

• Like 1